What if Neutron Stars Collide: Matter, Mass & Metal

In summary, neutron stars are incredibly dense and have immense gravitational pull. When two neutron stars collide, their masses combine and can potentially form a black hole. However, it is also possible for a neutron star merger to result in a neutron star remnant. If neutron star matter is removed from its high-pressure state, it will likely turn into iron nuclei. Colliding neutron stars are believed to be the cause of short gamma ray bursts, which are powerful bursts of energy that last for a short period of time.
drakken1985
what if...Neutron stars

I know likely its been answered but if two neutron stars collid, it wouldn't seem that there combined massess would forum a black hole...if I recall that any matter striking the surface of a neutron star impacts with such violence that there is a massive explosion. So I would think if two neutron stars collided the massess couldn't combine being the matter is converted into energy and blown off the stars at the stars' poles.

But would it be possible to remove matter from a neutron star...and what would that matter be like besides very heavy? Would the matter be a metal perhaps? Considering its matter consisting of neutrons--I would imagine it would be superconductive.

Space news on Phys.org

drakken1985 said:
But would it be possible to remove matter from a neutron star...and what would that matter be like besides very heavy?

Neutronium only exists under those incredible pressures. Were you to remove it, it would expand rapidly (essentially explode) to become normal matter.

The gravity of neutron stars is so immense, very little mass would escape a collision. And yes, it is widely believed neutron star mergers result in black holes. It is less clear that a simple core collapse event can produce a black hole. We've seen some very massive stars leave a neutron star remnant instead of a black hole.

drakken1985 said:
But would it be possible to remove matter from a neutron star...and what would that matter be like besides very heavy? Would the matter be a metal perhaps? Considering its matter consisting of neutrons--I would imagine it would be superconductive.

If you take neutron star matter and then remove the pressure then you (probably) will get iron vapor. What you do is to calculate the lowest energy state. At high pressure, everything turns into neutronium, but once you remove the pressure, then the lowest energy state is iron nuclei.

I say "probably" because it's vaguely possible that if you pressurize something and then depressurize, it won't go into the lowest energy state (think diamonds). Although for neutron star matter, the energy difference between pure neutrons and iron nuclei at zero pressure is high enough so that this is unlikely.

One other thing is that colliding neutron stars is the favorite candidate for gamma ray bursts.

twofish-quant said:
One other thing is that colliding neutron stars is the favorite candidate for gamma ray bursts.
Well, there are two distinct classes of GRB's, and I *think* colliding neutron stars are a candidate for one of the two classes. I forget which.

Chronos said:
We've seen some very massive stars leave a neutron star remnant instead of a black hole.

Tell me more, please.

drakken1985 said:
I know likely its been answered but if two neutron stars collid, it wouldn't seem that there combined massess would forum a black hole...if I recall that any matter striking the surface of a neutron star impacts with such violence that there is a massive explosion. So I would think if two neutron stars collided the massess couldn't combine being the matter is converted into energy and blown off the stars at the stars' poles.

Converting, say 10% of the mass to energy would be an awful lot of energy. It would have been noticed.

twofish-quant said:
Chalnoth said:
Well, there are two distinct classes of GRB's, and I *think* colliding neutron stars are a candidate for one of the two classes. I forget which.
It's short gamma ray bursts that are conjectured to result from colliding neutron stars. Long duration GRBs most likely result from core collapse supernova, and possibly a from a supermassive black hole (somewhat slowly) devouring a compact star. Short duration GRBs are a beast of a different color. They differ from their long duration counterparts not only in duration but also in spectrum. The short duration GRBs were long conjectured to result from the collision between a co-orbiting pair of neutron stars or between co-orbiting neutron star and a stellar-sized black hole. GRB 050509B, observed in May 2005, pretty much ruled out every other plausible cause. Recent simulations of the collision of a neutron star with another or with a stellar black hole match observations.

These short duration GRBs pack an incredible punch in an incredibly short period of time. A whole lot of mass is being converted into energy in very short order.

1. What happens when two neutron stars collide?

When two neutron stars collide, the energy released is equivalent to that of millions of nuclear bombs. The intense gravitational forces cause the stars to merge and create a massive explosion known as a kilonova. This event produces heavy elements like gold, platinum, and uranium, which are not formed in other types of stellar collisions.

2. How does the collision of neutron stars affect the surrounding matter?

The collision of neutron stars creates a shockwave that pushes out the surrounding matter, resulting in the formation of a shock front. This shock front is responsible for the production of heavy elements through a process known as r-process nucleosynthesis. The ejected matter can also create a nebula, which can later form new stars and planets.

3. What is the impact of a neutron star collision on mass and gravity?

The merger of two neutron stars can result in a more massive object, known as a black hole. This can have a significant impact on the gravitational forces in the surrounding area, causing distortions in space-time. The merger can also release gravitational waves, which can be detected by specialized instruments on Earth.

4. Can the collision of neutron stars be observed from Earth?

Yes, the collision of neutron stars can be observed from Earth using various telescopes and instruments. These events are rare, but when they occur, they produce a burst of energy across the electromagnetic spectrum, including visible light, X-rays, and radio waves. This allows scientists to study the aftermath of a neutron star collision and gain insights into the processes involved.

5. Is there any potential danger to Earth from a neutron star collision?

No, there is no potential danger to Earth from a neutron star collision. The closest known neutron star is over 400 light-years away, which is too far to cause any significant impact on our planet. However, if a neutron star were to collide with a black hole or another neutron star in our galaxy, it could potentially affect the stability of our solar system. Fortunately, such events are extremely rare and would not pose a threat to Earth.