What is a fColumb? Finding Net Electric potential, still wrong

In summary, the conversation involved finding the net electric potential at point P due to four particles with given values for distance and charge. The formula V = k q/r was used, and the prefix "f" was clarified to represent femto, or 10^{-15}. The final answer was found to be 6.37E-10 V, but there may have been a conversion error with the given charge in femtocoulombs. The conversation ended with a thank you for the helpful explanation.
mr_coffee
I'm suppose to find the net electric potential at point P due to the four particles, if V = 0 at infinity, q = 5.50 fC, and d = 3.00cm?
THe picture is here: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_24-33.gif
I used V = (5.50/.03 + 5.50/.03 - 5.50/.03 - 5.50/(.06));
I noticed that the very end negative charge is 2d away from P not just d. But i only have 2 more chances left to get it right. so i found V = 6.37E-10 V. But I never converted 5.50 fC to just C. So I'm assuming my answer is off slightly, anyone know what fC stands for also, do yuou know if I'm right? Thanks!]

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential at a distance r from a point charge is [itex]k q/r[/itex]. The prefix "f" stands for femto, which means [itex]10^{-15}[/itex].

awesome, thanks guys, it worked great!

What is a fColumb?

A fColumb, also known as a femtocoulomb, is a unit of electric charge equal to 10^-15 coulombs. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to measure small amounts of electric charge.

How is a fColumb related to a coulomb?

A fColumb is a smaller unit of electric charge than a coulomb. One coulomb is equal to 10^15 fColumbs.

What is Net Electric potential?

Net Electric potential, also known as electric potential energy, is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is Net Electric potential calculated?

Net Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge being moved. It is represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is the electric potential, W is the electric potential energy, and Q is the amount of charge.

Why might my calculation for Net Electric potential be wrong?

There are several reasons why a calculation for Net Electric potential might be wrong. Some common mistakes include using the wrong equation, using incorrect values for electric potential energy or charge, or failing to account for the direction of the electric field. It is important to double check your work and make sure all values and equations are correct to ensure an accurate calculation.