What is a good plasma physics textbook?

In summary, the individual is looking for a text on plasma physics at the undergraduate level for two reasons: to prepare for an upcoming course and for their job this summer. They are hoping for a recommended book that is considered the standard in the field. They also mention taking a plasma physics class in the past and suggest looking into the NERSCC website for additional resources.
PICsmith
I need a text for plasma physics (undergrad level) for two reasons:
1) I'm taking the course next semester and the professor doesn't use a textbook, but I learn best from books so I'm buying one anyway.
2) I need a good plasma text to learn/refer from for my job this summer.

I was hoping there existed some distinguished book that stands as the standard for plasma books and that hopefully someone here could tell me what that is. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a very fun plasma physics class many years ago from Chip Smith (then with PG&E and LLNL here in Northern California). He used a number of different sources of notes for the class, and one of them was a book by Chen on Plasma Physics:

You might also get some value by spending some time reading at the NERSCC website, especially the Annual Reports of recent progress in plasma physics as it applies to energy research:

http://www.nersc.gov/news/annual_reports/

Hope those links help. -Mike-

Last edited by a moderator:

A good plasma physics textbook should cover the fundamental principles and concepts of plasma physics, while also providing practical applications and examples. It should be well-organized, with clear explanations and diagrams to aid in understanding. Additionally, it should have a good balance between theoretical and experimental aspects, as well as include relevant mathematical derivations.

Some highly recommended textbooks for undergraduate level plasma physics are "Introduction to Plasma Physics" by Francis F. Chen, "Principles of Plasma Physics for Engineers and Scientists" by Umran S. Inan and Marek Golkowski, and "Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy" by Alexander Piel. These books have been widely used in undergraduate courses and are known for their comprehensive coverage and clarity.

Other factors to consider when choosing a plasma physics textbook are the author's expertise and experience in the field, the edition and publication date, and any additional resources such as online tutorials or problem sets.

Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your specific learning style and needs. It may be helpful to browse through a few different options and read reviews before making a decision. Good luck in your search and in your upcoming course and job!

1. What topics should a good plasma physics textbook cover?

A good plasma physics textbook should cover a range of topics, including basic plasma properties, kinetic theory, plasma waves and instabilities, plasma diagnostics, and plasma confinement and heating methods. It should also include examples and applications from various fields, such as astrophysics, fusion energy, and space science.

2. What level of mathematics should a good plasma physics textbook require?

A good plasma physics textbook should require a solid foundation in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Some knowledge of vector calculus and complex analysis may also be helpful. The level of mathematics should be appropriate for upper-level undergraduate or graduate students in physics or engineering.

3. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for plasma physics textbooks?

Some widely recognized authors and publishers in the field of plasma physics include Francis F. Chen, John Wiley & Sons, and Cambridge University Press. However, it is always important to carefully review the content and style of a textbook before deciding if it is suitable for your needs.

4. Can a good plasma physics textbook be used for self-study?

Yes, a good plasma physics textbook can be used for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong background in mathematics and physics before attempting to study plasma physics on your own. It is also helpful to have access to supplementary materials, such as lecture notes, online tutorials, and problem sets.

5. What are some key features to look for in a good plasma physics textbook?

A good plasma physics textbook should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a good balance between theory and applications. It should also include up-to-date information and references to current research in the field. Additionally, the textbook should be well-organized and easy to navigate, with helpful figures and diagrams.