What are moments and shear in classical mechanics?

In summary, a moment is the torque that is produced when a force is applied at a specific location. It is a simple concept that is often not explained in a clear way.
r16
I have heard the term moment being used quite often in physics (like a moment in the distributions of mass within closed systems, moments of inerta, as well as torque), but it has never been offically explained to me.

I was attempting to do a problem about the bending of a pliabile beam to one side under the load of a vertical force, and they started throwing around terms like shear and moment which I have no idea what they are (especially shear)

Anyone have any good explanations of these concepts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shear is a force per unit area that acts tangentially.

Moment is a rotation that is equal to the Force x distance.

Elaborating on Cyrus's comments, in shear, the force is acting parallel with the surface.

Moment involves a force acting perpendicular to a moment arm (distance), as opposed to parallel with the orientation of the moment arm (direction) which would act to increase or decrease length of a structural member. The moment causes bending or rotation.

now, i have a question bothering me for a long while... how the hack is this moment crap increasind or decreasing force!
im sooo sure that its not ampirical... i just don't get it... what is the more foundamental explanation...?

Greater moment implies greater force, if the distance is constant.

radou said:
Greater moment implies greater force, if the distance is constant.

thats far from being an answer for my question. i do not want an answer using the word moment... there must be a more fundamental principle based on matter properties, and forces...

TuviaDaCat said:
thats far from being an answer for my question. i do not want an answer using the word moment... there must be a more fundamental principle based on matter properties, and forces...

More fundamental? I wouldn't know. You can think of a concentrated moment as two parallel forces of equal sizes, but different direction, which are infinitely close to each other. Imagine a device of a T-form which is plugged into some rigid body and rotated around with the 'handle' (the hrizontal line on the letter T). That device is producing a concentrated moment in the point on the rigid body where it is plugged into. Pretty much of an idealisation, but I hope it makes things clear.

r16 said:
I have heard the term moment being used quite often in physics (like a moment in the distributions of mass within closed systems, moments of inerta, as well as torque), but it has never been offically explained to me.
The mathematical object that connects all these moments is called the n'th moment of a distribution about a point. The n'th moment of the distribution (in a single variable, for simplicity) [itex]f(x)[/itex], about the point [itex]x_0[/itex], is defined as:

[tex]\mu_n(x_0) = \langle (x-x_0)^n \rangle = \sum f(x) (x-x_0)^n [/tex]

So, a torque is nothing but the first moment of forces about a chosen point (axis). The first moment of a distribution of masses is called the center of mass, and their second moment is called the moment of inertia.

A shear is a linear transformation defined on a vector space that fixes all vectors in a chosen subspace of this space and translates all other vectors in the space along a direction parallel to the fixed subspace. In the space R^2, a shear fixes all points on a chosen line and translates all other points in the plane parallel to this line. The physical concept of a shear stress is the stress tensor that produces a shear transformation on a set of points in a 3-dimensional object (the vector space), typically fixing a plane (the fixed subspace) within the object.

PS : more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(mathematics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_(mathematics)

Last edited:
Great stuff, Gokul. Thanks.

When an engineer uses the term "moment", he typically is referring to a torque. When an engineer uses the term "moment of inertia", he typically is referring to the ratio of the torque to the angular acceleration.

Torque, as you are probably aware, is the cross product of r (distance vector from the center of mass to the point a force is acting on) with force. So, the torque (or moment, if you will) is proportional to the magnitude of the force, the distance of r, and the sine of the angle between the two vectors. This is quite intuitively pleasing.

Basically, a moment is a torque. Physics and engineering professors for some reason fail to point this out. Well, more generally, in mathematics, a moment is the cross product of r with ANY vector, which doesn't necessarily have to be a force, but in physics, the "moment" usually refers exclusively to torque.

Simple ideas are made too complicated sometimes. 75% of the stuff in university that seem very complicated and abstract is really quite simple...it is just never explained in a really clear way. Kinda disappointing.

Last edited:
In classical mechanics:

The torque, [itex]\vec{\tau}[/itex], due to a force, [itex]\vec{F}[/itex], about at a point [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is defined as

[tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/tex]

The effect of a torque is to cause rotation about the point [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] considered above, such that:

[tex]\vec{\tau} = \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] is the angular momentum:

[tex]\vec{L}=m\vec{r} \times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}.[/tex]

For rigid bodies, we can re-write this as:

[tex]\tau=I\ddot{\theta}[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angular displacement, and [itex]I[/itex] is the moment of inertia of that rigid body, about the axis which contains the point [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], given by

[tex]I=\int_V \rho(r)r^2 dv[/tex]

where [itex]r[/itex] is the perpendicular distance from that axis, and [itex]\rho(r)[/itex] is the mass density at each point.

In general, the motion of a rigid body due to a torque can be split into translational motion of the center of mass of the body, and rotation about an axis containing the center of mass.

Sometimes, the term moment is given a special definition. A moment is a combination of two forces that act on two different points on a rigid body, that have a resultant force equal to zero but a resultant non-zero torque: i.e. rotation without any translational motion.

Last edited:

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause a body to rotate about a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

2. How is moment related to torque?

Moment and torque are closely related concepts, with torque being a specific type of moment. Torque refers to the rotational force applied to an object, while moment is a more general term that can refer to any type of rotational tendency, including both torque and bending moments.

3. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a measure of the force per unit area that occurs when two surfaces slide or shear past each other. It is caused by tangential forces acting in opposite directions on the two surfaces, and can result in material deformation or failure.

4. How does shear stress differ from normal stress?

Normal stress refers to the force per unit area that is acting perpendicular to a surface, while shear stress refers to the force per unit area acting parallel to a surface. Normal stress typically causes tensile or compressive forces, while shear stress causes sliding or twisting forces.

5. What is the importance of understanding moment and shear in structural engineering?

Moment and shear are critical concepts in structural engineering, as they help engineers design and analyze structures that can withstand various types of forces. Understanding these concepts allows engineers to ensure the safety and stability of buildings, bridges, and other structures under different loading conditions.