What is Electric Field on a grounded structure?

In summary, the question is about the electrical field on a grounded steel structure near an energized conductor. The electric field at the ground is expected to be 0 V/m, but the specific shape and potential of the conductors involved will determine the actual electric field near the grounded steel structure. It is important to be aware of this when considering placing a mast near a power line.
RobMisi
Suppose we have an energized conductor say 10m above the ground, my understanding is that E Field at the ground will be 0 v/m. My question is, if we have say 8m tall steel tower approximately 3m from the energized conductor and grounded. What is the electrical field on this grounded steel structure near the energized conductor? close to zero or very high?

if it is high, how can we explain this?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
RobMisi said:
Suppose we have an energized conductor say 10m above the ground, my understanding is that E Field at the ground will be 0 v/m. My question is, if we have say 8m tall steel tower approximately 3m from the energized conductor and grounded. What is the electrical field on this grounded steel structure near the energized conductor? close to zero or very high?

if it is high, how can we explain this?
Thanks

Safety note: If you are thinking of putting a mast near a power line, don't.

I would appreciate some clarification of the following:
1. Why do you say that the electric field at the ground is 0 V/m?
2. While potentials on conductors can be specified, the electric fields near conductors are highly dependent on the charge distribution on the surface of the conductor, so I believe you should be rather specific about the shapes and potentials of each conductor in your problem. Once these are specified, the electric field can be worked out by standard methods of solving boundary value problems.
For example, if you have a grounded plate (0V) and a pin poised above it, at 10 V, the electric field at the tip of the pin can be very large if the pin is close enough to the grounded plate.

1. What is electric field?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by an electrically charged particle at a given point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is electric field calculated?

Electric field can be calculated by dividing the force experienced by a charged particle by its charge. In the case of a grounded structure, the electric field can be calculated by dividing the voltage of the structure by its distance from the ground.

3. What is a grounded structure?

A grounded structure is an object that is connected to the Earth through a conductive material, such as a metal rod. This allows excess electric charge to flow into the Earth, reducing the risk of electrical shocks or damage to the structure.

4. Why is it important to understand electric field on a grounded structure?

Understanding the electric field on a grounded structure is important for safety reasons. It helps to determine the potential for electrical shocks and protects against damage to the structure from high voltage.

5. How does the electric field on a grounded structure affect electrical equipment?

The electric field on a grounded structure can affect electrical equipment by inducing charges on its surface and causing distortions in the electric field. This can result in malfunction or damage to the equipment, making it important to properly ground structures to minimize these effects.