Honeycomb structure of oil due to an electric field

In summary, the individual has been working on a problem involving the rearrangement of oil under a high-voltage electric field. They initially thought the oil was being ionized but have since dismissed this explanation and are now looking for new ideas. The high voltage is applied between a needle and a surface, with a scale of 15cm diameter plate and a M6 4cm long screw, yielding similar results. The video shows a similar setup but with unknown scale.
kiloNewton
Hi, I've been working on a problem for some time now and I can't figure out why exactly this happens, and I've been looking for some insight. The phenomenon can be seen in this video.
We can see that the oil rearranges itself due to a high-voltage electric field. Thinking about this, my solution was that the oil gets ionised and is then influenced by the el. field to form the seen hexagons. I'm not looking for deriving mathematical proof, I've already set up most of my equations, and due to some thinking I've overthrown my previous explanation. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the high voltage applied? Between the needle and the surface? What is the scale (size and voltage)? The rapid evolution looks very surprising.

mfb said:
Where is the high voltage applied? Between the needle and the surface? What is the scale (size and voltage)? The rapid evolution looks very surprising.
Indeed, one pole is on the needle, the other is on the plate beneath the oil. We are using voltage (DC) in the range of 8kV+. As far as the scale, my experiement had consisted of a 15cm diameter plate and a M6 4 cm long screw, yielding similar results. I cannot say about the size used in the video, seems to be somewhat similar though.

1. What is a honeycomb structure of oil?

A honeycomb structure of oil refers to a hexagonal pattern formed by oil droplets when subjected to an electric field. This structure is created due to the interplay between the electrical forces and surface tension of the oil droplets.

2. How is the honeycomb structure of oil formed?

The honeycomb structure of oil is formed when oil droplets are placed between two electrodes and an electric field is applied. The electric field creates a force that acts on the oil droplets, causing them to arrange themselves into a hexagonal pattern.

3. What is the significance of the honeycomb structure of oil?

The honeycomb structure of oil has several practical applications, such as in microfluidics, where it can be used as a template for creating miniature channels for fluid flow. It also has potential uses in the development of new materials and drug delivery systems.

4. Can the honeycomb structure of oil be controlled?

Yes, the honeycomb structure of oil can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the electric field. By changing these parameters, the size and shape of the honeycomb structure can be altered, providing a way to tailor its properties for specific applications.

5. Does the honeycomb structure of oil occur naturally?

No, the honeycomb structure of oil only occurs when an electric field is applied. It is not a naturally occurring phenomenon, but rather a result of the interaction between oil droplets and an external electric field.