What is more effective -- Current or Voltage?

In summary: Sorry, I'm not good at texting. I meant:In summary, increasing the voltage will increase the performance of the fan more than current.
NARUTOSARTHAK
I have fan that's 20 V and 14 A. I give it an input of 5V 1A. So my question is... increasing what will increase the performance of my fan more... Current or Voltage??

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a very broad question. It depends what you mean by performance. Speed, torque or efficiency? The speed of a motor is proportional to voltage and the torque is proportional to current. For maximum efficiency you need to operate at the maximum power point because efficiency = power out / power in So if you really want to find out the best place to operate you might have to plot a speed vs. torque curve. Needless to say you shouldn't exceed the voltage and/or current rating of the DC motor.

Likes CWatters
NARUTOSARTHAK said:
I have fan that's 20 V and 14 A. I give it an input of 5V 1A. So my question is... increasing what will increase the performance of my fan more... Current or Voltage??
You cannot dictate both values. The resistance of the load tells you the current it passes, with a given supply voltage. Because you are dealing, here, with a motor, it's not possible to predict how a fan that's rated at 20V (when it passes 14A), will behave with 5V across it (it's not as easy as a heater that will follow Ohm's Law). So your question is difficult to answer, as it stands. See aitch's post, above.
If you supply much more than 20V, the fan will probably go faster but could burn out.

Likes davenn and cnh1995
Ohms law says v is prop to i , now if u v then how can u expect I to remain same.. So your question seems irrelevant to me

*increase .. Correction

Dheeraj12 said:
now if u v then how can u
If you mean "you" then why not write "you"?
"u" could mean anything, in the context of Physics - possibly 'initial velocity' ?
And "Prop" is a position on the rugby field.
That's why we don't use txt speak on PF.

Likes davenn
Sorry i meant if u (generally speaking) increase v then i will increase by ohms law

Not every device follows Ohm's Law.
It might help you if you read around this topic a bit. Usually, there is a positive proportionality between V and I but it is not always so. There are devices with Negative Resistance slopes in their characteristic. Start with plain resistance and move on when you have that sussed.

In most situation the Voltage controls performance. Current is determined by what you connect the voltage to (assuming the supply is not a limitation).

Let's say we had 2 battery chargers (wall warts). One is 5V at 1A and the other is 5V at 2.1A. If we connect to a device that requires 5V at 1A, then all that will be drawn is the 1A required by the device. 2.1A is the maximum capacity of the second charger, that is, it can supply up to 2.1A and still output 5V. IF the load tries to draw 3A, then the output of the charger will likely drop out of specification, possibly to zero.

If a fan were strictly a linear device (I'm not saying it is), then cutting the voltage in half would cut the performance (power consumption) by a factor of 4, half due to the voltage decrease and half due to the resulting current decrease. But, be careful about that because fans are not linear.

Chances are when you connected your 5V 1A supply to a 20V 14A fan it essentially shorted the supply and the voltage went to zero or near it. The supply would probably burn out if you left it connected (if it didn't already).

I hpe u dcd 2 use real words. Rdg that bs is BS. dnt b so lzy if u wnt intelligent ans.

Likes davenn, sophiecentaur, cnh1995 and 1 other person
meBigGuy said:
I hpe u dcd 2 use real words. Rdg that bs is BS. dnt b so lzy if u wnt intelligent ans.
Hr hr!

Likes cnh1995

Related to What is more effective -- Current or Voltage?

1. What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current is the flow of electric charge, typically measured in amperes (A), while voltage is the force that drives the flow of current, measured in volts (V).

2. Which one is more important in determining the strength of an electrical circuit?

Both current and voltage are important in determining the strength of an electrical circuit. However, the amount of current depends on the voltage and the resistance of the circuit, making voltage the more influential factor.

3. Is one more effective than the other in terms of energy consumption?

In terms of energy consumption, current and voltage are both important. Higher voltage can reduce the amount of current needed to produce the same amount of power, leading to more efficient energy consumption.

4. How does current and voltage affect the performance of electronic devices?

Current and voltage play different roles in the performance of electronic devices. Voltage determines the speed at which electricity flows, while current determines how much electricity is flowing. Both are important in maintaining the proper functioning of electronic devices.

5. Which one is more dangerous to work with?

Both current and voltage can be dangerous when working with electricity. However, high voltage is more likely to cause severe injury or death, while high current can also cause burns and other injuries. It is important to always exercise caution when working with electricity, regardless of the current or voltage involved.