What is Nothing vs Absolutely Nothing?

• Thread starter Erck
  • Start date
In summary, according to this theorist, the concept of nothing does not exist. Matter has no tensile strength to speak of and the concept of space does not exist within the bounds of "nothing".
Erck said:
One of the problems in understanding the universe... is that we are convinced that it IS something and it is based on something... that actually exists.

If we were to look at it as a relative state in constant change and look somewhere else for real existence... we might be ablle to put things in perspective

I think the existence of the universe is a given. We may be wrong here and there about some of the details, but that doesn't change the underlying fact of the universe's existence.

Conceiving of it as a state of change relative to something else is very problematic from an epistemological point of view. If the universe defines our sphere of possible knowledge (and I see no reason to believe to the contrary) then we have no a priori reason to posit an external structure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Our perception or sense of the universe existing is certainly a given.

As for our knowledge being limited to it... I'm not yet convinced of that.

Erck said:
Our perception or sense of the universe existing is certainly a given.

As for our knowledge being limited to it... I'm not yet convinced of that.

I don't see any reason how knowledge could be gained of something beyond the universe.

If the universe is relative... then going beyond it for knowledge is going to where knowledge really is.

Erck said:
If the universe is relative... then going beyond it for knowledge is going to where knowledge really is.

You can't assume that the universe is defined relative to something external to justify the claim that we can know what is beyond the universe. We have no a priori reason to believe that the universe is defined relative to something external.

If you look long enough and hard enough... is there a bridge at the outskirts of the universe that crosses over to a place that allows you to turn around and look?

Erck said:
If you look long enough and hard enough... is there a bridge at the outskirts of the universe that crosses over to a place that allows you to turn around and look?

Pure speculation.

I posed it as a question... but that doesn't necessarily mean I have't been there.

Erck said:
I posed it as a question... but that doesn't necessarily mean I have't been there.

It's a speculative question that can't be answered in any definitive way. You haven't provided any a priori reason why we should regard the universe as being defined relative to something else.

Stevo said:
You haven't provided any a priori reason why we should regard the universe as being defined relative to something else.
I know I haven't... I could, but I haven't...and I think I should apologize. As I'm putting this thing together I've come to this forum to put a bit of it out there and get feedback and learn something about what I need to speak to. I'm not a math or science guy... it's been helpful for me to do this... and I can only hope it's been helpful to others.

Erck said:
I know I haven't... I could, but I haven't...and I think I should apologize. As I'm putting this thing together I've come to this forum to put a bit of it out there and get feedback and learn something about what I need to speak to. I'm not a math or science guy... it's been helpful for me to do this... and I can only hope it's been helpful to others.

No need to apologise.

What are you putting together, an essay? What's it about?

Thanks for understanding. This whole back and forth with you tonight has been nice.

I'm putting together book that has a TOE/GUT as one third of it.

The other two sections are about if "reality" works in a certain way... what does it tell us about how we could function as individuals and as a global society.

Last edited:
Erck said:
Thanks for understanding. This whole back and forth with you tonight has been nice.

I'm putting together book that has a TOE/GUT as one third of it.

What is GUT?

Grand Unified Theory.. there's also Unified Field Theory... let's see... or my made up version... Grand Unifed Field Theory of Everything.

Erck said:
Grand Unified Theory.. there's also Unified Field Theory... let's see... or my made up version... Grand Unifed Field Theory of Everything.

Thanks.

And how do you see the concept of "nothing" involved in your book?

There are two nothings.

One of them is no-thing and it is part of a relative pair... so it seems to exist, but being relative it doesn't actaully get there.

Last edited:
What is the other element of the pair? In what way does it seem to exist?

I'd have to say at this point to give it some thought.

The reason any of it seems to exist, is for the most part, because we occur at the same level of "reality" as it does.

Last edited:
Erck said:

The reason any of it seems to exist, is for the most part, because we occur at the same level of "reality."

Indeed. We only can observe and measure with what we or our sensoring and measuring tools resonate with. Form that we make conclusions. That's one part of the game.
The other part is how we experience that reality. The individual emotions or awe for a sunset, a piece of art, a landmark, a religious experience, ... the sensation of just drinking wine ... can never be measured or caught by math or science. Still those feelings exist. Also here resonance is happening but on other (individual) value levels.

Last edited:
Erck said:

The reason any of it seems to exist, is for the most part, because we occur at the same level of "reality" as it does.

Which is why I believe that the universe forms our epistemological boundary.

Beyond Einstein

Mad_Gouki said:
it may have started from nothing, and i don't believe that it is possible to determine how the universe began

because even if it were recorded, it would be destroyed when the universe became nothing.

the universe is supposidly in a state of expansion... that is, the KNOWN universe.

but back to answering that question from that article... the reason the universe is still around is because the universe is still changing.

Friedmann equation, Omega and the ideas of critical density speak to the dynamical nature happening in the universe. As a whole( can we conceptualize this) and given these equations do we accept nothing as a foundatin or shall we give it a flat space discription?

So zero is given a calibration point, and this move to dynamcal situations explained to us, by those like Saccheri, Gauss and Reinmann.

To see this dynamical nature, such leading points of consideration and the length meaure has become a issue in how we might see the early univese and in this energy considration suprsymmetical points as a dynamical in relation to these flows Supegravity.

One has to make an assumption then, as to how you define these changes, whose basis is, and must become a geometrical defintion?

Last edited:
do we accept nothing as a foundation or shall we give it a flat space description?

So zero is given a calibration point...
(supersymmetical points as a dynamical in relation to these flows Supergravity.)

One has to make an assumption then, and [it] must become a geometrical definition?
What Sol said is actually what physicists think. They make up their own calibration point then make everyhing fit their definition. It works it label something then define it according to the labels you have given it. It tells you how it works. You can predict what it will do; but that doesn't tell us what we really want to know at this point in physics discovery.

What we really want to know is, what does it actually look like?

Since physicists start with nothing, then add their own reference points, it's good to ask this.
What is the other element of the pair? In what way does it seem to exist?
The "nothing" concept is made of two ideas: No Thing. To have No Thing, you must have Thing. So Thing is what can exist on its own, not Nothing. We start off assuming nothing can exist on its own; then give Nothing reference points, and call that math or geometry.

What if we start out with Matter, not with empty space?

nothing is the absence of Energy distance and time

If you have nothing, you have zero energy if energy equals zero then
D=0(t)
Distance is zero and time is non existant

That is hard to imagine, but in nothing, you couldn't even have a ruler to measure anything, not only because the ruler couldn't exist but also because the distance to measure doesn't exist. Because SOMETHING(energy) is all that makes measuring anything possible.

Distance itself is what we live in. This could be akin to the so called ether physicists long ago imagined.

Distance itself is what we live in. This could be akin to the so-called ether physicists long ago imagined.
That is right!

What are the qualities of a non-dimensional point? A basic quality is, if another point occupies the same place, it is the same point. Therefore, there must be some distance between all non-dimensional points.

What is a basic quality of matter? Two pieces of matter can't occupy the same place. And two points can't occupy the same place. Matter and points are very similar.

If we think of matter and points as the same thing, then we have a space made of points. The distance between points is space itself, but the distance is created by separating a nearly infinite number of non-dimensional points that once occupied the same place (and thus were one point), separating them by first creating two points.

When you separate two points into into something that does no exist (since points are all that exist) there must be a resistance that pushes the two points back together. This resistance from separating two points into nothing is where all energy comes from.

If we have a universe made of a myriad of points separated across a distance and under tension we have the perfect medium for a wave, that is, we have the ether.

I'm having difficulty understanding you, however if your agreeing with the validity of that equation I'm happy to talk about it, because I only came up with it last week and I'm still trying to comprehend some of it's meanings.

If your saying space gets energy from the space between the points, I'm going to have to disagree , we just defined nothing, so by default there is nothing between no distance, no energy.

However I believe the initial energy came from a parent universe, our universe is just a black hole in another. To support the point theory however, each point of space with enough energy to cause a black hole would be E=D=T All equaling one. Those points together makes a three dimensional universe.

The reason a black hole is black is because T=1 . Therefor time stands still. When time stands still energy does not move, Therefor we do not see things coming from the black hole.

Before anyone tells me about black body radiation, I know, and can explain that too

Last edited:
nothing is mystery, just as mystery is no-thing

a mystery isn't nothing, it is something, something which we don't understand. Maybe nothing is a mystery to you, but not to me

PRyckman said:
a mystery isn't nothing, it is something, something which we don't understand. Maybe nothing is a mystery to you, but not to me

we are on the same page, nothing too is a mystery ( a something) that niether I nor you understand.

We cannot find 'nothing' other than in the realm of idea or concept. There is no way to even register 'nothing' other than as a concept or idea.

as as a concept or idea, nothing and mystery are inseperable. Mystery is the place that cannot be defined, and any interpretation is a thing, yes, but a false thing, the mystery is, objectivly, no-thing until the mind is applied to it and can distinguish between true and false, and even when this occurs, mystery still remains.

P-man is saying another universe provided the background for this universe to work in, like, we are standing on the other universe. But what if you have to provide your own background from one concept? That concept is "what exists". We try to start with nothing, but nothing is two concepts. What exists is one concept. Outside of what exists is nothing, so nothing requires existence. Existence doesn't require nothing.

The idea "it is" defines inertia. It is, therefore it takes energy to become something else; or, it can't become something else. It has inertia. Existence has inertia. Inertia is what caused repelling forces. A particle of matter hits something and knocks it away because of inertia. It takes time for the particle to reach the thing, and then it knocks it away. But a particle cannot take time to reach something, then draw it to it. Gravity doesn’t take time but acts instantaneously all over the universe. So maybe all attractive forces are different. It is not a repulsive force caused by inertia or existence. It is an attractive force, caused by what?

If the repulsive force comes from inertia, and inertia comes from the definition of existence, the best candidate for the attractive force is the opposite of existence: nothing.

We can't agree that particles make up and define all of space, as I think, but we can agree that particles make up and define all molecules and atoms. We have the idea that the strong force is some attractive force inherent to particles, like a charge. But charges get weaker with distance. I believe the strong force is really a particle trying to separate into nothing, like pushing against the walls of something that doesn't have any more space. That analogy makes sense when you know the further they try to separate, the harder it becomes, like they are trying to get out of an inner tube.

And strings, which have attractive tension are defined as tubes. A string is two particles trying to separate. Particles are existence. When they separate within the world of an atom, they are separating into nothingness, and the fact that nothingness has no space to separate into is the strong force.

There is no such thing as empty space. Having the concept of empty space would mean that something else, another universe had to create the empty space, as you said. Since it didn't, we have a space made of point particles, which has six underlying spatial dimensions since you can't arrange real points in any 3D pattern that has more than 12 directions total, six directions back and forth, six dimensions. This idea that space is made of strings under tension allows attractive forces to happen. Magnetism is a complex set of spatial strings that form in loops, creating an attractive force. Snowflakes form on the strings of space itself.

If you take literal strings or short sticks, like toothpicks, and glue them together to create a real 3D space, the toothpicks line up in six directions, with every angle 60 degrees. Every angle in a snowflake is 60 degrees.

Moonrat said:
we are on the same page, nothing too is a mystery ( a something) that niether I nor you understand.

We cannot find 'nothing' other than in the realm of idea or concept. There is no way to even register 'nothing' other than as a concept or idea.

as as a concept or idea, nothing and mystery are inseperable. Mystery is the place that cannot be defined, and any interpretation is a thing, yes, but a false thing, the mystery is, objectivly, no-thing until the mind is applied to it and can distinguish between true and false, and even when this occurs, mystery still remains.

Lets for the sake of kick starting the openess to what contitutes ideas from nothing:) As soon as you entertain this notion you are nothing:) So from this point forward?

Lets pretent the "nothing" is a cloudchamber? Or dark energy? Does this change the situation from zeropoint consideration? Is this not logical?

John said:
And strings, which have attractive tension are defined as tubes. A string is two particles trying to separate. Particles are existence. When they separate within the world of an atom, they are separating into nothingness, and the fact that nothingness has no space to separate into is the strong force.

QUOTE]

John,

A string is a one dimensional discription of a particle. The ole Quark to Quark measure revealed the nature of the metric field, but we have to be consistent in our explanation from this geometical consideration.

Even here I am open to corrections

The idea of a string explains the fact that rules don't work when the particles approach 0 distance from each other. But an accurate definition of a point doesn't allow two points to be 0 distance from each other. If they are, they are the same point! So, all points must have distance between them.

If points are little strings, then this line

and this line
____

have a different number of points. They don't both have an infinite number of points.

It is impossible for empty, totally open and free space to exist. Space must be made of real points that must have distance between them, even logically. Points must have distance between them; and if logical points must have distance between them, then space has nine actual spatial dimensions, just like string theory predicts!

Last edited:
John said:
The idea of a string explains the fact that rules don't work when the particles approach 0 distance from each other. But an accurate definition of a point doesn't allow two points to be 0 distance from each other. If they are, they are the same point! So, all points must have distance between them.

If the distance is consistent, then this line

and this line
____

have a different number of points. They don't both have an infinite number of points.

It is impossible for empty, totally open and free space to exist. Space must be made of real points that must have distance between them, even logically. Points must have distance between them; and if logical points must have distance between them, then space has nine actual spatial dimensions, just like string theory predicts!

John it is a energy determination?

We have supplanted particle discription for something else? That's part of accepting the paradigmal change of strings/M-theory. We know at the basis of these explanation there are metric points to consider, and becomes much more dynamcial when it hits supergravity( think of plasmatic consideration here and the early universe in a ever supersymmetrical state of recogntion).

Hhaving reached Planck length, there is a problem. :)

again I am defintiely open to corrections

Last edited:
John said:
P-man is saying another universe provided the background for this universe to work in, like, we are standing on the other universe. But what if you have to provide your own background from one concept? That concept is "what exists".

yes, but only as a concept, right?

If I say only mystery existed before the big bang, that can include nothingness or another universe, either way , it's mystery until a better understanding of infinity can be approached.

Look, forgive me too, for I am the layman writer, and do not have some of the saavy that many of you possess, but to say that one can understand mystery or nothingness seems to be a bit of a stretch, because if it was understood, it would no longer be mystery, and mystery seems more appropiate to the circumstance than mere 'nothingness'

I'm also tired! Yikes, maybe say different thing in morning!

sol2 said:
Lets for the sake of kick starting the openess to what contitutes ideas from nothing:) As soon as you entertain this notion you are nothing:) So from this point forward?

Ideas from nothing or ideas from mystery? Different perspective, same co-ordinate.

Ideas come from mystery in the form of true ideas or false ideas.

We don't know what they mystery is, every new law of physics reveals only more mystery underneath.

Lets pretent the "nothing" is a cloudchamber? Or dark energy? Does this change the situation from zeropoint consideration? Is this not logical?

IF nothing is a cloud chamber than it is no longer nothing but a cloud chamber, distinguished by all that which is not cloud chamber.

See, the 'concept' stays mystery, mystery is always here, so perhaps it should be more included in models and presentations of universe. after all, if a model can not contain mystery (nothingness) then it does not completely represent universe...

?

mystery may be the working constant! The thing that is nothing...To me this seems logical

Moonrat