PF3(CH3)2 Structure: Molecule & Properties

• Thread starter Juwad
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion about the molecular structure of PF3(CH3)2 and whether it can have 5 bonds. Steve was unsure about the ratio of 3:5 bonds for P and mentioned that there may be other factors, such as hybridization of orbitals, at play. Steve also suggested a possible structure with P in the middle, 3 Fs attached with single bonds, and two methyl groups also attached to P. However, Steve admitted that he hasn't taken a chemistry course in over 3 decades and hopes that someone more knowledgeable can provide further clarification. Overall, the conversation ended with Steve wishing the person luck in their inquiry."
Juwad
PF3(CH3)2? i was wondering about the structure(molecular)

Physics news on Phys.org
P, at times, can have 5 bonds.

Hope that helps.

Steve

is the one of the few exceptions?

Not sure the ratio of 3:5 bonds for P. Cannot comment on your compound. There are many, many more intelligent people at this site than I. Hybridization of orbitals might come into play here. Perhaps someone can correct/add to what has been said so far?

I have a possible structure with the P in the middle, 3 Fs with single bonds to the P and two methyl groups, also attached to the P. If I am wrong or misleading you - don't mean to do so. Just that I haven't taken a chemistry course in over 3 decades!

Best of luck.

Steve

thanks steve

1. What is the chemical formula for PF3(CH3)2?

The chemical formula for PF3(CH3)2 is C6H12F3P.

2. What is the molecular structure of PF3(CH3)2?

The molecular structure of PF3(CH3)2 is trigonal bipyramidal, with phosphorus as the central atom surrounded by three fluorine atoms and two methyl groups.

3. What are the properties of PF3(CH3)2?

PF3(CH3)2 is a colorless, flammable gas with a pungent odor. It has a boiling point of -45°C and a melting point of -155°C. It is soluble in organic solvents but not in water.

4. What is the bond angle in PF3(CH3)2?

The bond angles in PF3(CH3)2 are approximately 120° between the phosphorus and fluorine atoms and 109.5° between the phosphorus and methyl groups.

5. What are the common uses of PF3(CH3)2?

PF3(CH3)2 is primarily used as a reagent in organic synthesis reactions. It is also used as a fluorinating agent in the production of fluoropolymers and in the preparation of pesticides and pharmaceuticals.