What is Potential Energy of Mass m?

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m sliding on a horizontal, smooth table at a speed v before sliding down a smooth ramp and then onto a horizontal rough floor where it eventually stops. The question asks for the potential energy U of the block on the floor, with the zero level being a distance (2h/3) above the floor. This means that the zero level is completely arbitrary and can be chosen at any point. The potential energy formula is U = mgh, where h is measured from the zero level.
senseandsanity
The problem is:
A block of mass m slides at a speed v along a horizontal, smooth table. It next slides down a smooth ramp, descending a height h , and then slides along a horizontal rough floor, stopping eventually.
If the zero level is a distance (2h/3) above the floor, what is the potential energy U of the block on the floor?

I'm confused about the zero level.

Attachments

• block on table.jpeg
    block on table.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 853
Physics news on Phys.org
senseandsanity said:
I'm confused about the zero level.
To specify the potential energy, you need a reference point--a place where U = zero. For example, if the ground were the zero point, then the gravitational PE of an object at a height h would be U = mgh; but if 2h/3 were the reference point, U = mgh/3.

Old thread but I happen to have the exact same homework question. I hate MasteringPhysics.com.

Anyway, I understand U = mgh
But I really don't get what 2h/3 is trying to tell me.

"If the zero level is a distance above the floor, what is the potential energy of the block on the floor?" & "Suppose the potential energy of the block at the table is given by . This implies that the chosen zero level of potential energy is __________."

I have no idea what this is asking me.

Ytsehoos said:
Anyway, I understand U = mgh
But I really don't get what 2h/3 is trying to tell me.
With U = mgh, where do you measure h from?

You measure it from the zero level, which is completely arbitrary. For example, if a mass is on the floor, and I choose the floor as the zero level, then h = 0 and U = 0. But what if the zero level were chosen to be 10 meters below the floor (in the basement, perhaps)? Then h = 10m.

Another way to write the potential energy formula is: U = mgy, where y is the vertical position measured from the zero level, which is where y = 0.

The point is: You can put the zero level anywhere.

I too am confused on this which is how I actually came across this forum.

Anyway, if the U=mgh/3 on the table and zero point is 2h/3 then wouldn't that mean that the zero point is above the table since 2/3 is bigger than 1/3. This lead me to believe that the floor would in turn be 3h/3 (or just h) but when I put the answer of mgh in it was wrong. Any insight would be appreciated.

jcarreon0807 said:
Anyway, if the U=mgh/3 on the table and zero point is 2h/3 then wouldn't that mean that the zero point is above the table since 2/3 is bigger than 1/3.
No. That would be a contradiction, since you just said that the zero point is at 2h/3.

The point is to choose the zero point (in this case it's given to you), and measure the displacement from that point. If the table top is h/3 above the zero point, where is the floor measured from that same zero point?

Ok now I get what it is saying. Thank you for clearing it up!

Related to What is Potential Energy of Mass m?

FAQs about Potential Energy

Frequently Asked Questions about "What is Potential Energy of Mass m?"

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy related to mass?

The potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its potential energy will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or vertical position of the object.

4. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some common examples of potential energy include a stretched spring, a pendulum at its highest point, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a book sitting on a shelf.

5. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is energy that an object possesses due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.