What is the acceleration of a falling rock with air resistance?

In summary, the rock experiences a resultant force of 2.3x10^{2}N downwards due to the air resistance and gravity.
Nance
I'm trying to figure out this problem...

A rock of mass 49 kg accidentally breaks loose from the edge of a cliff and falls straight down. The magnitude of the air resistance that opposes its downward motion is 249 N. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the rock?

I know that I should multiply 49kgx9.8 to figure out the effect gravity has, right?, but I have no idea how to figure in the 249 N air resistance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nance said:
I'm trying to figure out this problem...

A rock of mass 49 kg accidentally breaks loose from the edge of a cliff and falls straight down. The magnitude of the air resistance that opposes its downward motion is 249 N. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the rock?

I know that I should multiply 49kgx9.8 to figure out the effect gravity has...

um, sure. of course, the accleration due to gravity will be the same for any object regardless of the mass...

P.S. this forum is not where you post homework questions. there is a specific forum for that.

Draw a free-body diagram and label the two forces that act on the rock.

The force that is exerted on an object of mass m due to gravity near the Earth's surface is

F=mg where g = ~9.81m/s^2

Then you have the force of 249N acting in the opposite direction (air resistance). Due to the vector nature of these forces, how can you find the resultant force?

Would I then subtract 249N from F=mg?

Ps, sorry I didn't know questions were supposed to be posted in another forum! In the future, I will post elsewhere! :)

Yes that is correct. You first have a adopt a sign convention. Let's call upwards positive and downwards negative. (when you said would I then subtract 249N from f=mg you were basically calling up negative and downwards positive, it doesn't matter as long as you keep it the same throughout the problem. I prefer to call up positive)

[tex]F_{net}=\Sigma F[/tex]

=[tex]F_{air resistance}+F_{g}[/tex]

=[tex]249 N - 480.69N[/tex](since gravity acts downwards we assign the force a negative value)

=-231.69N or [tex]2.3x10^{2}N[/tex] downwards.

Now use F=ma to calculate the acceleration

Last edited:
Thank you for your help!

Anytime. Good luck.

Related to What is the acceleration of a falling rock with air resistance?

What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is the force that pulls objects towards each other, and it is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth's surface.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force exerted by air on a moving object. It acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down.

How does gravity and air resistance affect falling objects?

Gravity pulls objects towards the ground, while air resistance acts in the opposite direction, pushing against the object. The amount of air resistance depends on the size, shape, and speed of the object. If the force of gravity is greater than the force of air resistance, the object will accelerate towards the ground. If the force of air resistance is greater, the object will slow down and eventually reach a terminal velocity.

How is gravity and air resistance related to each other?

Gravity and air resistance are both forces that act on objects in motion. Air resistance is a type of frictional force, and it increases with speed. As an object falls, its speed increases, causing air resistance to also increase. Therefore, the force of air resistance eventually balances out the force of gravity, creating a state of equilibrium known as terminal velocity.

How do scientists study gravity and air resistance?

Scientists study gravity and air resistance through experiments and mathematical models. They can use tools such as air resistance sensors, force probes, and accelerometers to measure and analyze the effects of these forces on falling objects. They also use equations, such as Newton's Second Law of Motion, to calculate the forces acting on an object and predict its motion.