What Is the Acceleration of a Water Balloon Thrown Downward?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
phys1618
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Please help! projectile motion problem..

Homework Statement



a student throws a water balloon vertically downward fromt he top of a building; the balloon leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 10 m/s.
1.what will be its velocity after falling for 2 seconds?
2.what will be its velocity after falling 10 meters?
3.If it moved a distance of 1 meter while int he throwers' hand, find it's accelereation while in his hand.

Homework Equations




d=(vi+vf)t
2

a= (vf-vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution



I think i can get the answers to 1 and 2. I'm clueless on #3.
thank you for all help! greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


phys1618 said:

Homework Statement



a student throws a water balloon vertically downward fromt he top of a building; the balloon leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 10 m/s.
1.what will be its velocity after falling for 2 seconds?
2.what will be its velocity after falling 10 meters?
3.If it moved a distance of 1 meter while int he throwers' hand, find it's accelereation while in his hand.

Homework Equations

d=(vi+vf)t
2

a= (vf-vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution



I think i can get the answers to 1 and 2. I'm clueless on #3.
thank you for all help! greatly appreciated.

Your second equation will find the velocity after 2 seconds, but your first equation neglects to take into account the acceleration of gravity.

Consider using the relationship that vf2 = vi2 + 2a*x for part 2.

As to your third question, you have the distance, and initial V was at rest and final V is 10m/s so ... use the same equation to figure a.
 


Thank you LowlyPion. I greatly appreciates your fast help. I have the problem solved with no problem. Thanks. however, I do have a another problem just posted. if you can take a look and help me..thank you for your time and help.