What Is the Acceleration of a Water Balloon Thrown Downward?

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile motion problem where a student throws a water balloon vertically downward from the top of a building. The balloon has an initial velocity of 10 m/s and the questions ask about its velocity after falling for a certain amount of time or distance. The equations d=(vi+vf)t/2 and vf2 = vi2 + 2a*x are used to solve the problem and find the final velocity and acceleration.
phys1618
Please help! projectile motion problem..

Homework Statement

a student throws a water balloon vertically downward fromt he top of a building; the balloon leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 10 m/s.
1.what will be its velocity after falling for 2 seconds?
2.what will be its velocity after falling 10 meters?
3.If it moved a distance of 1 meter while int he throwers' hand, find it's accelereation while in his hand.

Homework Equations

d=(vi+vf)t

a= (vf-vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i can get the answers to 1 and 2. I'm clueless on #3.
thank you for all help! greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

phys1618 said:

Homework Statement

a student throws a water balloon vertically downward fromt he top of a building; the balloon leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 10 m/s.
1.what will be its velocity after falling for 2 seconds?
2.what will be its velocity after falling 10 meters?
3.If it moved a distance of 1 meter while int he throwers' hand, find it's accelereation while in his hand.

Homework Equations

d=(vi+vf)t

a= (vf-vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i can get the answers to 1 and 2. I'm clueless on #3.
thank you for all help! greatly appreciated.

Your second equation will find the velocity after 2 seconds, but your first equation neglects to take into account the acceleration of gravity.

Consider using the relationship that vf2 = vi2 + 2a*x for part 2.

As to your third question, you have the distance, and initial V was at rest and final V is 10m/s so ... use the same equation to figure a.

Thank you LowlyPion. I greatly appreciates your fast help. I have the problem solved with no problem. Thanks. however, I do have a another problem just posted. if you can take a look and help me..thank you for your time and help.

Related to What Is the Acceleration of a Water Balloon Thrown Downward?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a parabolic path due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities.

2. How can I solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. You will also need to consider the horizontal and vertical components of the motion separately.

3. How do I find the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be found by using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance traveled by the object before it reaches the ground. It can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How do I account for air resistance in a projectile motion problem?

Air resistance can be accounted for by adding a drag force to the equations of motion. This force is dependent on the velocity and surface area of the object and can be calculated using the equation Fd = 1/2CdρAv2, where Cd is the drag coefficient, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area, and v is the velocity.