What is the Angular Speed of a Falling Rod?

In summary: er calculated the energy for a rod swinging down from horizontal into vertical position. he assumed the rod had a mass at the pivot and that it was swung down by a force that acted at the pivot. he found that the energy was negative and it was in the direction of the length of the rod.
j2013

Homework Statement

A rod of length L and mass M is pivoted about one end. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal position, and allowed to swing downward without friction or air resistance. When the rod is vertical, what is its angular speed w?

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia, I = 1/3 ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to apologize in advance if my notations are difficult to read.

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
0 + MgL = (1/2) Iw^2 + 0
MgL = (1/2)(1/3 ML^2)w^2
√6g/L = w

I think I'm supposed to use the rod's center of mass because my current answer is wrong and since the diagram in my book points out that the center of mass is at L/2 from the pivot point. I don't think they would point that out if it was unnecessary, but I don't understand why. Putting Ui as Mg(L/2) gives me the right answer though, according to the back of the book.

Any help clarifying this would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
j2013 said:

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia, I = 1/3 ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to apologize in advance if my notations are difficult to read.

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
0 + MgL = (1/2) Iw^2 + 0
MgL = (1/2)(1/3 ML^2)w^2
√6g/L = w

I think I'm supposed to use the rod's center of mass because my current answer is wrong and since the diagram in my book points out that the center of mass is at L/2 from the pivot point. I don't think they would point that out if it was unnecessary, but I don't understand why. Putting Ui as Mg(L/2) gives me the right answer though, according to the back of the book.

Any help clarifying this would be much appreciated.

Your I value is correct.
Ui is not MgL. Ui is MgL/2 because height is distance between initial CM point and final CM point. Perpendicular distance between two CM is L/2. So calculate again to find angular velocity.

j2013 said:

Yes, the potential energy of a homogeneous rod of length L gets mgL/2 lower when it swings down from horizontal position into vertical.

Think of the road as a chain of N small pieces, each of mass Δm=M/N.

Initially, all pieces are at the same height. When the rod swings to vertical position the height of the piece at the pivot does not change, but the end moves down by L. The middle, which is the centre of mass for a homogeneous rod, moves down by L/2. If you take a piece at distance x from the CM, the piece above the CM has Δmxg higher PE than the CM, and the piece below the CM has PE Δmxg lower than the CM, the sum of the PE of both pieces is -2ΔmgL/2 with respect to the original horizontal position. Doing the same for all pair of pieces you get that the final PE= -NΔm*gL/2 = MgL/2 with respect to the horizontal position of the rod.

ehild

Related to What is the Angular Speed of a Falling Rod?

1. What is the definition of angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point, typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular speed related to linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are related through the equation v = rω, where v is linear speed, r is the radius of rotation, and ω is angular speed. This means that as the radius of rotation increases, the linear speed at a given angular speed will also increase.

3. What causes the angular speed of a falling rod to change?

The angular speed of a falling rod will change due to the effect of gravity and any external forces acting on the rod, such as air resistance or friction.

4. How is the angular speed of a falling rod calculated?

The angular speed of a falling rod can be calculated using the formula ω = √(2gh/l), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the rod, and l is the length of the rod.

5. Does the mass of the rod affect its angular speed while falling?

Yes, the mass of the rod will affect its angular speed while falling. A heavier rod will have a larger moment of inertia and therefore require more torque to rotate, resulting in a slower angular speed compared to a lighter rod with the same dimensions.