What is the best way to learn the basics of electronic components?

In summary: Make absolutely sure that you know what you are doing before turning on the power. In summary, Jim's advice is to experiment and to find a way to learn about the basics of electronics without having to worry about making mistakes. He suggests finding a club or ordering an inexpensive audio kit. He also recommends learning about electronics by building something. Finally, he cautions against building projects that are powered directly from the mains until you are more confident.
Nerdydude101
So I have been interested in learning about electronics for a while but I can only find good reading sources for learning. I have a load of trouble learning from reading and I best learn from things like experimentation or being taught. I would like to experiment but at the same time I don't want to accidentally explode something in my face. I would like a way to learn about the basic components themselves for a foundation to start experimenting without the threat of me accidentally putting to much voltage into something, overheating it and then it exploding. Again, I learn best from things like videos or being taught but videos would be preferable. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
my advice is you will learn by doing.

Amateur Radio is a fascinating hobby . And the folks in it are friendly. See if there's a club in your neighborhood and check ARRL dot org..

Or order an inexpensive audio kit and build yourself a stereo.

i've built this one , it is easy and has great sound. Around twenty bucks at hobby sites.
you'll need a soldering iron and cutters.
http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k88.pdf
I mounted mine in a sardine can and velcroed it to side of the computer.

You'll need speakers too. That is really fun when you get into audio theory and hobby sites abound.

What Jim says is true.

Another possibility is Arduino. We are in an age of computers and micro controllers. Making something as simple as a flashing LED will teach you about circuits and programming. There are tons of projects, videos, tutorials,etc etc. You should search the Arduino forums and sites and something will catch your fancy. Or, just buy a board and do the blinking LED tutorial. It's a steep curve, but well worth the effort.

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction is a place to start.

If you start with low voltage battery powered circuits, nothing will "explode". You will probably destroy a few components by making mistakes, but everybody does that as part of the learning process. You might even overheat a component enough to make it catch fire, but so long as you keep your work area fairly tidy you won't burn your house down. Knowing what overheated components smell like before they start smoking is a good thing to learn!

But don't even think about building a project powered directly from the mains, until you know what you are doing and understand the safety issues. Making mistakes with mains electricity can kill you.

If you want to be successful, you will very (VERY) soon find you need a DMM. Pretty much any electronic project will really impress you with yourself - as long as it works. The ego trip can be out of all proportion when a light goes on when it's supposed to.
Note of caution: in the same way that computers do what you tell them to do- and not what you want them to do, electronic components have the same mean streak. Check, check and check again before you connect the power.

Related to What is the best way to learn the basics of electronic components?

1. What are electronic components?

Electronic components are physical devices that are used to manipulate and control the flow of electricity in electronic circuits. Examples of electronic components include resistors, capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits.

2. How can I learn the basics of electronic components?

The best way to learn the basics of electronic components is through hands-on experience and practice. You can start by familiarizing yourself with the different types of components and their functions, then move on to building simple circuits and experimenting with different configurations.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about electronic components?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about electronic components. You can find tutorials, videos, and interactive simulations that can help you understand the basics of electronic components and how they work.

4. Do I need to have a background in electronics to learn about electronic components?

No, you do not need to have a background in electronics to learn about electronic components. However, having some basic knowledge of electricity and circuits can be helpful in understanding the concepts and terminology associated with electronic components.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning about electronic components?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning about electronic components include not properly identifying and reading component values, not understanding the correct way to connect components in a circuit, and not taking proper safety precautions when working with electricity. It is important to carefully follow instructions and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.