What is the Change in Internal Energy for a Cyclic Process on a PV Diagram?

In summary, the conversation discusses a figure with three points (A, B, and C) and their corresponding values of pressure, volume, and internal energy. The first question asks for the amount of heat exchanged with the environment in a cyclic process, and the second question asks for the change in internal energy in a specific process. The equations used are delta U = Q - W, where U is internal energy, Q is heat, and W is work. The solution for (a) is Q = 9119.25 J, and for (b), the net work is found to be 15198.75 J, but the change in internal energy and heat are not known. The processes A-B and B-C are identified as
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

For point A in the figure (See Figure 1), the pressure is 3 atm, the volume is .08 m3 and the internal energy is 750 J. At point C the values are 1.2 atm, .03 m3, and 420 Joules.
(a) For the cyclic process abcda, how much heat is exchanged with the environment?
(b) For the process abc, what is the change in internal energy?

Homework Equations

delta U = Q - W
where U = internal energy, Q = heat, and W = work

The Attempt at a Solution

for (a), I found Q = 9119.25 J because it's a cyclic process, so delta U = 0 and Wnet = the area of the square. But for (b), it's not exactly clear how I'm supposed to find the change in internal energy. I can find W by finding the area under the curve, which equals 15198.75 J, but I don't know U now and I don't know Q either. All I can get is Qda > 0, which isn't particularly helpful.

Attachments

• Figure1.jpg
    Figure1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you see what type of process A-B is? And B-C? Realizing what processes those are should help.

I know A-B is constant pressure and B-C is constant volume. Thus, B-C does no work. But I know what the net work is. I need to know the net heat so I can figure out the change in internal energy and I don't know of any pertinent handy facts about constant volume or constant pressure processes. The only useful things about constant pressure processes in my book are for ideal gases, and this isn't an ideal gas. So I don't see what you're saying.

Related to What is the Change in Internal Energy for a Cyclic Process on a PV Diagram?

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It is commonly used to analyze and understand processes such as expansion, compression, and heat transfer in gases.

2. How is a PV diagram constructed?

A PV diagram is typically constructed by plotting pressure on the y-axis and volume on the x-axis. The shape of the graph can vary depending on the process being analyzed, but it is usually a curve or series of curves.

3. What does the area under a PV diagram represent?

The area under a PV diagram represents the work done by the system. This can be calculated by finding the area of each individual section and adding them together. The unit for work in a PV diagram is typically joules (J).

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to a PV diagram?

The first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, is represented in a PV diagram by the conservation of energy. The work done by the system is equal to the change in internal energy plus the heat added to the system.

5. What can a PV diagram be used for?

A PV diagram can be used to analyze and understand various thermodynamic processes, such as isothermal, adiabatic, and isobaric processes. It can also be used to calculate important parameters, such as work, heat, and efficiency of a system.