gracy
- 2,486
- 83
How can we know this time Earth will give charges and at the other instance it won't?
Last edited:
And when Earth takes charge?cnh1995 said:When there is a potential difference between earthed plate and other plate(s), Earth will give charge.
A potential difference that requires charges to move. They have to come from somewhere. If they are available from an external connection then that's where they come from. If the plate were isolated then existing charges could only be re-arranged, and charge separation would occur.gracy said:What is called " need" in this context?
cnh1995 said:When Earth is at higher potential then the other plate(s).
Here side means?cnh1995 said:By convention, +ve side is considered as higher potential side.
plate with net positive charge is at higher potential and plate with net negative charge is at lower potential,right?cnh1995 said:Sorry, I meant +ve charged part of the circuit like +ve terminal of the battery.
I believe that's because it is connected to +ve terminal of one battery and -ve terminal of the other battery.gracy said:Then why no charge transfer occur from Earth as charge are transferred from Earth if there is potential difference between earthed plate and the other plate(s)?
Formation of net -ve charge is avoided by the +ve terminal of one battery and formation of +ve charges is avoided by the -ve terminal of the other battery. However, if the two battery voltages were different, there would be net charge on the middle plate.cnh1995 said:I believe that's because it is connected to +ve terminal of one battery and -ve terminal of the other battery.
This is not correct as I have pointed out previously. The charge on a plate does not determine its potential. The potential of a plate does not determine its charge.cnh1995 said:Yes, by convention.
I agree. But in case of a battery, isn't +ve terminal considered as higher potential conventionally? Also, conventional current is assumed to be from higher potential to lower potential and its direction is shown from +ve to -ve terminal of the battery. So, if a capacitor is connected across a battery, its +vely charged plate will be at higher potential than the -ve plate. That's what I meant in that post.jbriggs444 said:This is not correct as I have pointed out previously. The charge on a plate does not determine its potential. The potential of a plate does not determine its charge.
Agreed, the relatively more positively charged plate will be at a higher potential than the relatively less positively charged plate.cnh1995 said:I agree. But in case of a battery, isn't +ve terminal considered as higher potential conventionally? Also, conventional current is assumed to be from higher potential to lower potential and its direction is shown from +ve to -ve terminal of the battery. So, if a capacitor is connected across a battery, its +vely charged plate will be at higher potential than the -ve plate. That's what I meant in that post.