What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for the incline?

In summary, the block is released from rest and experiences an acceleration of 1.23457 m/s2 due to the force of gravity. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the incline and the block is 96.33228 N/m.
missyjane
A 12kg block is released from rest on an inclined plane with angle 35. Acceleration of the block is 1.23457 The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/2^2.

I found the normal force (12*9.8*cos35)=96.33228
Fnet=ma=12*1.23457=14.81484
Ff=N-Fnet=81.51744
So, I thought mu=Fnet/N=0.8462, but that answer is apparently wrong. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
missyjane said:
A 12kg block is released from rest on an inclined plane with angle 35. Acceleration of the block is 1.23457 The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/2^2.

I found the normal force (12*9.8*cos35)=96.33228
Fnet=ma=12*1.23457=14.81484
Ff=N-Fnet=81.51744
So, I thought mu=Fnet/N=0.8462, but that answer is apparently wrong. Any ideas?

[tex]F_f+F_g+N=m\vec{a}[/tex]

You know that the mass is 12kg, the and the acceleration 1.23457 m/s2. You know that the product of those two is equal to the frictional force + the downward force. The downward force is the sum of the gravitational force and the normal force. Make a few substitutions and you should have your answer.

Alex

Ok, so gravitational force is 9.8*12, right? That would be 117.6N. So the downward force is 117.6+96.33228=213.93228. But that means ma does not equal the product of the two. Where am I messing up?

missyjane said:
Ok, so gravitational force is 9.8*12, right? That would be 117.6N. So the downward force is 117.6+96.33228=213.93228. But that means ma does not equal the product of the two. Where am I messing up?
This will be much easier for you if you write it out with vectors. For this type of problem, try the following:

1. Draw a free-body diagram.
2. Write Newton's Second Law in vector form (important!).
3. Write an expression for each of the forces.
4. Write a scalar equation for each.
5. Express any constraints on your equations.
6. Solve the final system(s) of equations.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction measured?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured experimentally by determining the force required to keep an object in motion on a surface at a constant velocity. This force is then divided by the weight of the object to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the surfaces together.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction refers to the frictional force between two surfaces when one of the surfaces is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction refers to the frictional force between two surfaces when they are at rest.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect motion on an incline?

The coefficient of kinetic friction plays a crucial role in determining the motion of an object on an incline. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction will result in a slower acceleration for an object sliding down an incline, while a lower coefficient of kinetic friction will result in a faster acceleration.