What is the concentration profile at steady state?

In summary: The flux is calculated as the gradient of the concentration profile, and the time it takes to administer the drug would depend on the rate of diffusion and the desired concentration. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sphere with a radius of 4.8mm surrounded by a membrane of 0.2mm containing a drug that is diffusing out. The saturation concentration, partition coefficient, and diffusivity of the drug are known, as well as the fact that the concentration outside the membrane is essentially zero due to quick absorption. The main objectives are to derive a one dimensional steady state balance on the membrane, solve for the concentration profile, calculate the flux, and determine the frequency of drug administration. The conversation mentions the use of boundary
ZintheDestroy
I have a sphere of radius 4.8mm surrounded by a membrane .2 mm that has a drug in the inner sphere and is diffusing out through the membrane. I know the saturation concentration, the partition coefficient and diffusivity of the drug. I also know that the concentration outside of the membrane is essentially zero as the drug is absorbed quickly I need to do the following:

1) Derive a one dimensional steady state balance on the membrane
2) Solve for the concentration profile at steady state
3) Calculate the flux
4) Determine how often the drug needs to be administered

So far I have the following:

1) [itex]\frac{dC}{dt}[/itex] = 0 = [itex]\frac{D}{r^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂r}[/itex]([itex]r^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{dC}{dr}[/itex])

2) Boundary conditions

r = [itex]R_{1}[/itex] C = C(0)

r = [itex]R_{2}[/itex] C = C(L)

Where C(0) and C(L) are the concentrations at the boundaries of the membrane

Integrate to get:

C(r) = ([itex]\frac{C(L)-C(0)}{R_{2}-R_{1}}[/itex])[itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]+C(0)

This is where I'm stuck as I'm not sure this is the correct integration. Does this work then I just set C(L) equal to 0 and C(0) equal to the partition coefficient times the saturation concentration?

3) Not sure what to set equal to J

4) How would i even solve for the time it takes?

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1 requests a steady state profile across the spherical membrane. If you integrate the original steady state equation, you get two constants of integration. They are evaluated based on the boundary conditions at R1 and R2.

You will get two equations and two unknowns for C1 and C2. What I work out differs from yours. The way to check it is to plug in r=R1 to see what the value of the function for C is at R1. It must reduce to the boundary condition. Do the same at R2.

Related to What is the concentration profile at steady state?

1. What is diffusion through a membrane?

Diffusion through a membrane is the passive movement of molecules or particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration through a semipermeable membrane.

2. How does diffusion through a membrane occur?

Diffusion through a membrane occurs due to the random movement of particles and the difference in concentration between two areas. The particles move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration in order to reach equilibrium.

3. What is a semipermeable membrane?

A semipermeable membrane is a membrane that allows certain molecules or particles to pass through, while blocking others. This is due to the membrane's structure, which has small pores or channels that only allow specific molecules to pass through.

4. What factors affect the rate of diffusion through a membrane?

The rate of diffusion through a membrane can be affected by several factors, including the concentration gradient, the size and type of particles, the temperature, and the surface area of the membrane. A steeper concentration gradient, smaller particles, higher temperature, and larger surface area all contribute to a faster rate of diffusion.

5. What is the importance of diffusion through a membrane in biological systems?

Diffusion through a membrane is a vital process in biological systems as it allows for the transport of essential molecules and nutrients, such as oxygen and glucose, into cells and the removal of waste products. It also helps maintain a balance of substances within the cell, allowing for proper functioning and survival.