What is the Conversion for Units in Particle Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with units in deriving probability equations for neutrino oscillations. The person is trying to convert a formula involving mass, time, and energy into one with mass, distance, and energy, using the relativist approximation. They are unsure of how to determine the conversion factor and also ask for help with converting seconds to inverse MeV.
ylem
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem of units!

I'm currently deriving probability equations for neutrino oscillations and I'm stuck with units!

I have: [(mass)^2 * time]/[4*energy] and I want to write it as [1.27 * (mass)^2 * distance]/[Energy] with distance in metres, energy in MeV and the mass in eV^2. I get that I can use the relativist approximation to get from time to distance (taking c and hbar to be 1).

I'm just wondering how you get the 1.27 that allows you to use this conversion? I assume it is [1eV^2 * 1 metre in MeV * (1/MeV)] but I don't know what 1 metre is in MeV. Can someone explain to how determine it?

Also, if anyone could explain how to get seconds in inverse MeV that would be great!

Thanks a lot, Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a conversion 1=197 MeV-fm.
(you get that from 1=hbar*c.)
Then use 1=3X10^8 m/s.

The conversion for units in particle physics can be quite complex, as it often involves combining different physical quantities and constants. In your specific case, the conversion factor of 1.27 comes from the fact that the speed of light in a vacuum, c, can be expressed as 1 meter per inverse second (m/s), and the Planck constant, h, can be expressed as 1 joule second (J*s). Therefore, the conversion factor between time and distance is 1 meter per inverse joule (m/J).

To convert from time to distance, you can use the relativistic approximation, as you mentioned, which states that time and distance are related by the speed of light. In this case, you can use the conversion factor of 1 meter per inverse second (m/s) to convert from time to distance.

For the conversion from seconds to inverse MeV, you can use the fact that 1 eV (electron-volt) is equal to 1.6022 * 10^-19 joules. Therefore, 1 MeV (mega-electron-volt) is equal to 1.6022 * 10^-13 joules. Using this conversion, you can then convert seconds to inverse MeV by dividing by the energy in MeV.

I hope this helps with your unit conversion and good luck with your neutrino oscillation equations!

Related to What is the Conversion for Units in Particle Physics?

1. What is the basic unit of measurement used in particle physics?

The basic unit of measurement used in particle physics is the electron volt (eV). It is a unit of energy equal to the amount of energy gained by an electron when it is accelerated through a potential difference of 1 volt.

2. How are units of length measured in particle physics?

Units of length in particle physics are typically measured in femtometers (fm), which is equal to 10^-15 meters. This is because particles in the subatomic world are extremely small and require precise measurements at this scale.

3. What is the unit of mass used in particle physics?

The unit of mass used in particle physics is the electron mass, which is equal to 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms. This unit is used because most particles in the subatomic world have masses much smaller than a gram.

4. How are units of energy and mass related in particle physics?

In particle physics, energy and mass are related through Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This means that energy can be converted into mass, and vice versa.

5. Are there any unique units used in particle physics?

Yes, there are a few unique units used in particle physics, such as the barn (b), which is a unit of area used to measure the cross-sectional area of nuclear reactions. Another unique unit is the Planck length (lP), which is the smallest possible length that can be measured.