What is the correct grit hone for an air cylinder.

In summary, experts at honing say that a 1200 grit hone is the best surface for elastomeric seals. The seal may need oil entrained in the air for lubrication. The bore of the barrel is likely not high quality.
craigfperry
that uses a parachute type seal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Craig,
I must admit, I can not say I am familiar with the term "parachute seal." Perhaps I know it by a different term? Once I know that I'm sure we can track down the right info.

i'm sorry i don't know the correct name.
here is a pic of the seal.
it goes on a dovetail at the front of the piston.
i'm not sure but i would guess the durometer to be about 70.
and the cylinder is regular steel.
thanks.

Attachments

• 767.jpg
    767.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 452
1200 grit
see www.batestech.com
experts at honing..sunnen hone is the bible in racing..

I would double check that number. It sounds awfully high. I haven't been able to find anything as of yet other than this reference from flex hone.

http://www.flexhone.com/flexhone%20for%20cylinders.htm

They don't even go up to a 1200 grit hone and they're talking about an 800 grit being an Ra = 3-10. Many elastomeric seals require some surface roughness to operate correctly, especially with liquids. Since this is an air application the question arises do these seals need oil entrained in the air for seal lubrication (they are dynamic seals).

Do you know the manufacturer of the seals or the actuators?

Last edited by a moderator:
correct
thats why i recommend he contact theweb site and talk to appliactins engineers who deal with this..i can spend a lot of time discussing surface texture and various parameters Ra, RMS, Rt RV Peak Count etc..but he needs to tel the A.E. the type steel and coating if any and fluid for more help

they do make 1200 grit..
might fine

thanks for the links this gives me a place to start.
i do know that i do need some lube to remain in the crosshatch to lube the seal.

these seals are for a pellet gun, the maker is Jim Maccari.

Last edited:
craigfperry said:
thanks for the links this gives me a place to start.
i do know that i do need some lube to remain in the crosshatch to lube the seal.

these seals are for a pellet gun, the maker is Jim Maccari.
He is out of commission with a severe back injury. Are you going to do the repairs yourself?

yes i have rebuilt a few of the airguns i have.
but the best info i can get is a crosshatch of 400 grit which i am not happy with those results as far as seal wear and overall preformance.
it seems to me an 800 grit may be better.

the other thing that puzzles me is with the 400 grit crosshatch after a few hundred rounds thru the gun the crosshatch is gone and the cylinder walls are polished to a mirror finish.

Last edited:
craigfperry said:
the other thing that puzzles me is with the 400 grit crosshatch after a few hundred rounds thru the gun the crosshatch is gone and the cylinder walls are polished to a mirror finish.
What is the barrel made out of? It seems like the surface hardness of the bore is too low.

i would say not high quality, i don't know enough to guess.
the guns this happened to were made by Crosman with parts made in china.
i am about to try a reseal on a spanish made gun and from what i have seen they seem to be made better.

1. What is grit hone and why is it important for air cylinders?

Grit hone is a process that involves using abrasive materials to polish and smooth the surface of an air cylinder. It is important because it removes any imperfections or roughness on the cylinder's surface, which can affect its performance and efficiency.

2. How do I determine the correct grit hone for my air cylinder?

The correct grit hone for an air cylinder depends on factors such as the material of the cylinder, the desired surface finish, and the type of air pressure it will be subjected to. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the most suitable grit hone.

3. Can I use any type of grit hone for my air cylinder?

No, it is important to use a grit hone specifically designed for air cylinders. Using the wrong type of grit hone can damage the cylinder's surface or compromise its functionality.

4. How often should I perform a grit hone on my air cylinder?

The frequency of grit honing depends on how often the air cylinder is used and the level of wear and tear it experiences. It is recommended to perform a grit hone whenever the cylinder shows signs of surface imperfections or roughness.

5. Is grit honing necessary for all types of air cylinders?

Grit honing is not necessary for all types of air cylinders. For example, stainless steel cylinders are generally smoother and more resistant to wear, so they may not require grit honing as frequently as other materials.