What is the cross section area of the water?

In summary: So, as I mentioned in the post you quoted, the volume of the hemisphere is: \frac{2}{3}\pi r^3The cross sectional area is the area of the circular cross section of the hemisphere, so, as you said in your other post, the formula for the area of a circle is A = \pi r^2
yy205001
what is the cross section area of the water??

Homework Statement

Determine an expression for the cross sectional area A of the fluid in the tank as a function of D and H.

Homework Equations

A=pi*r2

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to let the radius equal to the height but then the fluid's height goes lower, it doesn't form a circle anymore. So i have no ideas how to do this.Please help.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org

yy205001 said:

Homework Statement

Determine an expression for the cross sectional area A of the fluid in the tank as a function of D and H.

Homework Equations

A=pi*r2

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to let the radius equal to the height but then the fluid's height goes lower, it doesn't form a circle anymore. So i have no ideas how to do this.Please help.

What is the shape of the tank? In your drawing, the cross-section is half a circle, but is the tank spherical or cylindrical or what? To get an expression for the cross-sectional area of the water, you need to know the shape of the tank.

I believe the tank is a half sphere? So, the volume of the sphere is: [tex]\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3[/tex]

Correction added.
sharks said:
I believe the tank is a half sphere? So, the volume of the hemisphere is: [tex]\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3[/tex]

Nothing in the OP's post says anything about the actual shape of the tank.

If you click on the attached picture in the first post, it does say "hemispherical" in the lower-right corner. In that case, H= r (radius if sphere) and D = 2r (diameter).

So it does. I missed that.

1. What is the definition of cross section area of water?

The cross section area of water refers to the area of a body of water when viewed from a perpendicular angle. It is essentially the surface area of the water.

2. How is the cross section area of water calculated?

The cross section area of water can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the water body. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using mathematical formulas specific to the shape of the body of water, such as the area of a circle for circular bodies of water.

3. Why is the cross section area of water important?

The cross section area of water is a crucial measurement for a variety of scientific and practical purposes. It can help determine the volume of water in a body of water, which is important for understanding water resources, flood control, and other environmental factors.

4. How does the cross section area of water affect water flow?

The cross section area of water can impact the flow of water in rivers, streams, and other bodies of water. A wider cross section area generally results in slower water flow, while a narrower cross section area leads to faster water flow.

5. Can the cross section area of water change over time?

Yes, the cross section area of water can change over time due to various factors such as erosion, sedimentation, and human activities. Natural phenomena such as floods and droughts can also alter the cross section area of water in a temporary or permanent manner.