What is the effect of heat on the inertial mass of a body?

In summary, heating a body increases its temperature and energy, resulting in a higher mass according to Einstein's equation, E=mc^2. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the molecules, which contributes to the overall mass of the body. This can be seen in the example of a balloon filled with gas, where the mass of the gas increases when heated due to the faster movement of its molecules.
tejas sanap
I mean, a body with higher temperature has higher energy so is it heavier than before? We know from e=m*c^2 that energy is equivalent to mass

Science news on Phys.org
It is indeed heavier when heated than it was when it was cooler! The difference is just too little to notice in our everyday lives.

Consider a balloon full of a gas. We can write the energy of the balloon as a sum of the energies of all the gas molecules inside it (let's ignore the potential and kinetic energy in the rubber of the balloon itself). We can use Einstein's formula to write the energy of each molecule of mass ## m_i ## as

## E_i = \frac{m_i c^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v_i^2}{c^2}}} ##,

where ## v_i ## is the speed of the i##^{th}## molecule. The extra factor on the bottom takes into account that the gas molecules are zipping around inside the balloon. The form of the equation that everybody knows, ## E = mc^2 ## is really written for an object that is not moving in the frame of reference where ## E ## is being measured (well, some people used to represent ##\frac{m_i}{ \sqrt{1-v_i^2/c^2}}## as a "new" mass, say M_i, that changes with a molecule's velocity, and write ## E_i = M_i c^2 ##, but that way of doing things does not seem as popular as it used to be).

The molecules in the balloon are really going fast compared to objects that we are used to in everyday life, but they are not going fast at all compared to the speed of light. We can use calculus to show that, in this case, the energy of each molecule can be approximately re-written as

## E_i = \frac{m_i c^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v_i^2}{c^2}}} \approx m_i c^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_i v_i^2 ##.

You may notice that the second term is the molecule's kinetic energy. The total energy of the gas in the balloon can be gotten by adding up all these energies. When the gas in the balloon is heated, it makes the molecules zip around faster. That makes the energy above bigger for each molecule (because ##v_i## gets bigger), which makes the energy of the whole balloon bigger. But for the balloon as a whole, we can write ## E = M_{gas} c^2 ##. We have

## E = M_{gas} c^2 = E_1 + E_2 + \cdots E_N ##,

assuming there are ## N ## molecules in the balloon. Now here is something really neat. If we divide both sides of the above equation by ## c^2 ##, and write everything out explicitly, we get

## M_{gas} = m_1 + m_2 + \cdots m_N + \frac{1}{2}m_1\frac{v_1^2}{c^2}+ \cdots \frac{1}{2}m_N\frac{v_N^2}{c^2}##.

That is to say, the mass of the gas in the balloon is not the sum of the masses of each of the molecules - the kinetic energy terms have been added on! This formula let's us see explicitly why the balloon's mass increases when we heat it up.

1. How does heat affect the inertial mass of a body?

When a body is heated, its particles gain kinetic energy and begin to move faster. This increase in motion causes the body to have a higher inertial mass, meaning it resists changes in its state of motion more strongly.

2. Does the effect of heat on inertial mass vary depending on the material of the body?

Yes, the effect of heat on inertial mass can vary depending on the material of the body. Some materials, such as metals, have a greater increase in inertial mass when heated compared to others, such as gases.

3. Can heat decrease the inertial mass of a body?

No, heat cannot decrease the inertial mass of a body. Inertial mass only increases with an increase in temperature due to the increase in particle motion. However, the apparent mass of a body may decrease due to thermal expansion, but this is not the same as inertial mass.

4. Is there a limit to how much the inertial mass of a body can increase due to heat?

There is no specific limit to how much the inertial mass of a body can increase due to heat. However, as the temperature increases, the particles in the body will eventually reach their maximum possible motion, resulting in a plateau in the increase of inertial mass.

5. How does the effect of heat on inertial mass relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. When a body is heated, its particles gain energy, which can be viewed as an increase in mass. This concept is known as mass-energy equivalence and is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity.