What is the electric field at a point along the z-axis above a charged dome?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a cylindrical Gaussian surface for finding the electric field in the z-component. However, it is determined that a different shape of Gaussian surface would be more appropriate due to the behavior of the field lines leaving the point charge horizontally. It is suggested to use a "dome" shaped surface, potentially half of an ellipsoid, to enclose the desired field lines and solve for the electric field.
math4everyone

Homework Statement

rOgE8.png

cSlqo.png

Homework Equations

The z component of the field:

$$E_z = \frac{-Qh}{2\pi\varepsilon_0 (r^2+h^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to choose a cylinder for my Gaussian surface such that the radius of it matches with the distance d I am trying to find and its height is such that all field lines are within the interior of the cylinder.
I know that the electric field in the z component in this case is:
\begin{equation}
\frac{-Qh}{2 \pi \varepsilon_o (r^2+h^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
\end{equation}
Thus, if I integrate:
\begin{equation}
\int \frac{-Qh}{2 \pi \varepsilon_o (r^2+h^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}dA=\int_0^d \frac{-Qh(2 \pi r dr)}{2 \pi \varepsilon_o (r^2+h^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\int_0^d \frac{-Qh(r dr)}{\varepsilon_o (r^2+h^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\frac{Q}{\varepsilon_o}
\end{equation}
So:
\begin{equation}
\int_0^d \frac{r dr}{(r^2+h^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=-\frac{1}{h}
\end{equation}
And this is ultimately:
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{h}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{h^2+d^2}}=-\frac{1}{h}
\end{equation}
However, if a solve for d, it yields a complex number

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Can you please describe in more detail your cylindrical Gaussian surface? Where are the locations of the top and bottom of the cylinder?

I believe you will need to consider a different shape of Gaussian surface for this problem.

TSny said:
Hello.

Can you please describe in more detail your cylindrical Gaussian surface? Where are the locations of the top and bottom of the cylinder?

I believe you will need to consider a different shape of Gaussian surface for this problem.
Hello, I tried to do something like this
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9379/gQAcim.png
I also thought of doing something with the image charge
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2415/9XBrlC.png
However, I am not sure what is the charge enclosed in this sphere...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you included more electric field lines in your drawing (coming out of the upper part of the point charge), wouldn't some of those field lines go through the flat top of your cylindrical Gaussian surface, and also wouldn't some of the field lines go through the vertical (curved) side of the cylindrical surface? Thus, there would be some flux through your Gaussian surface that you have not accounted for.

Also, how does your picture account for the fact that you are interested in the field lines that leave the point charge in a horizontal direction?

TSny said:
If you included more electric field lines in your drawing (coming out of the upper part of the point charge), wouldn't some of those field lines go through the flat top of your cylindrical Gaussian surface, and also wouldn't some of the field lines go through the vertical (curved) side of the cylindrical surface? Thus, there would be some flux through your Gaussian surface that you have not accounted for.

Also, how does your picture account for the fact that you are interested in the field lines that leave the point charge in a horizontal direction?
I don't know. What I thought was that I can make the height of the cylinder even larger in order to cover those field lines you mention because it doesn't affect the result. And the horizontal field line starts bending in the instant it is coming out the charge, so... I really don't know.

There will always be some field lines that go higher than any finite height you choose for the top surface of your cylinder. The field line that leaves the point charge vertically upward will go vertically upward to infinity. Those that leave the charge almost vertically upward will go very far upward before curving back down and meeting the plane very far away from r = 0. If your cylinder has a finite radius, d, then some of the field lines will pass through the vertical side of the cylinder. So, a cylindrical shape Gaussian surface doesn't appear to be very appropriate for this problem.

Since you are interested in field lines that leave the point charge horizontally, try to picture all of the field lines that leave the charge horizontally. Can you describe roughly the geometrical shape of the surface formed by all of these lines?

TSny said:
There will always be some field lines that go higher than any finite height you choose for the top surface of your cylinder. The field line that leaves the point charge vertically upward will go vertically upward to infinity. Those that leave the charge almost vertically upward will go very far upward before curving back down and meeting the plane very far away from r = 0. If your cylinder has a finite radius, d, then some of the field lines will pass through the vertical side of the cylinder. So, a cylindrical shape Gaussian surface doesn't appear to be very appropriate for this problem.

Since you are interested in field lines that leave the point charge horizontally, try to picture all of the field lines that leave the charge horizontally. Can you describe roughly the geometrical shape of the surface formed by all of these lines?
Could it be a paraboloid?

Probably not a paraboloid, but it will be some sort of "dome". Can you use that dome surface as part of a closed Gaussian surface?

TSny said:
Probably not a paraboloid, but it will be some sort of "dome". Can you use that dome surface as part of a closed Gaussian surface?
Well, since the field lines with the image charge resembles ellipses, I could guess that it could be half part of an ellipsoid...

The exact shape (paraboloid, ellipsoid, etc.) of the dome doesn't matter. Try to use the dome to your advantage.

1. What is a horizontal field line?

A horizontal field line is a line that represents the direction of a magnetic field at a particular point. It is a visual representation of the direction in which a compass needle would align at that point.

2. How is a horizontal field line different from a vertical field line?

A horizontal field line is parallel to the surface of the Earth, while a vertical field line is perpendicular to the surface of the Earth. A horizontal field line indicates a horizontal component of the magnetic field, while a vertical field line indicates a vertical component.

3. What causes horizontal field lines?

Horizontal field lines are caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in the Earth's magnetic field. The rotation of the Earth's liquid outer core also contributes to the creation of horizontal field lines.

4. What is the significance of horizontal field lines?

Horizontal field lines play an important role in navigation and understanding the Earth's magnetic field. They help to determine the direction of magnetic north and aid in the creation of maps and charts. They also provide valuable information for studying the Earth's interior and its interactions with the Sun.

5. How are horizontal field lines used in geophysics?

Geophysicists use horizontal field lines to map the Earth's magnetic field and study its variations over time. They also use them to investigate the behavior of charged particles in the ionosphere and magnetosphere, and to study the effects of magnetic storms on Earth's surface.