What is the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect?

Rayan
Homework Statement
I'm trying to determine the magnetic field of sunspots using the following graph:
Relevant Equations
Formula relating energy and magnetic field:

$$ \Delta E = \mu_B * B $$
But I don't really know how I am supposed to find the energy difference from the graph, how can I know which peaks to use?
Solar2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rayan said:
Homework Statement: I'm trying to determine the magnetic field of sunspots using the following graph:
Relevant Equations: Formula relating energy and magnetic field:

$$ \Delta E = \mu_B * B $$

But I don't really know how I am supposed to find the energy difference from the graph, how can I know which peaks to use?View attachment 338179
Suppose someone someone told you which peaks to use. How would you use them? Do you understand how they are produced?

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
What specifically is that a plot of? If you can answer that, it may give you a clue as to what your approach should be.

Likes nasu and MatinSAR
What is ##\mu_B##?

kuruman said:
Suppose someone someone told you which peaks to use. How would you use them? Do you understand how they are produced?
I suppose that the peaks can be used to get a difference in the wave number for the transition, and from that I can get the energy difference! Am I thinking right here?

vela said:
What specifically is that a plot of? If you can answer that, it may give you a clue as to what your approach should be.
The intensity of the transitions? But It does not really help me to know which peaks corresponds to the transition I'm looking for

haruspex said:
What is ##\mu_B##?
Bohr magneton

Rayan said:
I suppose that the peaks can be used to get a difference in the wave number for the transition, and from that I can get the energy difference! Am I thinking right here?
The energy difference between what and what? Each peak is a photon energy which is a difference between energy levels. There is also an energy difference between peaks. I suggest that you look up “Zeeman effect”.

1. What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. It occurs when the energy levels of atoms or molecules are perturbed by the magnetic field, leading to the splitting of spectral lines into multiple components.

2. How is the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect calculated?

The energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect can be calculated using the formula ΔE = gμBΔm, where ΔE is the energy difference, g is the Landé g-factor, μB is the Bohr magneton, and Δm is the change in magnetic quantum number.

3. What factors affect the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect?

The energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the Landé g-factor of the atom or molecule, and the quantum numbers of the energy levels involved.

4. How does the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect impact spectroscopic studies?

The energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect provides valuable information about the structure and properties of atoms and molecules. It can be used to determine the Landé g-factor, study the effects of magnetic fields on energy levels, and investigate the interactions between particles.

5. Can the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect be experimentally observed?

Yes, the energy difference between the peaks in the Zeeman effect can be experimentally observed using spectroscopic techniques. By measuring the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field, scientists can determine the energy difference and gain insights into the behavior of atoms and molecules under magnetic influence.