What is the energy of a toroidal solenoid with given dimensions and current?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy and current of a toroid with given parameters. The calculated values for the cross sectional area (S) and the modified cross sectional area (S0) were 0.0016m2 and 0.00176m2 respectively. The attempt at finding the energy using a formula yielded a value of 1.51J, which was determined to be incorrect. Another formula was then used, resulting in a correct value of 4.76J. The formula for current (I=NH/l) was found to be incorrect and not used in the calculations.
iwan97

Homework Statement

[/B]
N=600 (number of loops)
a1=200mm
a2=240mm
h=40mm
δ=1,5mm or l0
S0=1,1*S (Cross sectional area)
B0=1,2T

I need to find energy of toroid and currect going through it.
Solution: W=4,08J, I=6,44A
Capture.PNG

2. The attempt at a solution

So far I managed to calculate S and S0:
S=(a2-a1)*h
S=0,0016m2
S0=1,1*S
S0=0,00176m2I tried to find energy using this formula but it's not correct:
W0=B02*S0*l0/2*μ0
W0=1,51J

W=B*H*S*(l-l0)/2 (B and H are from the graph)
W=4,76J

Formula for current is I=NH/l but since nothing is correct I didn't bother to try and calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see nothing wrong with your formula for W0 and W unless you made an arithmetic error which I suspect you did. For example, I got W = 2.34J.
Your formula I=NH/l is wrong however so not using it was ironically a good move! :smile:

Last edited:
Never mind. I figured it out. Thanks !

Related to What is the energy of a toroidal solenoid with given dimensions and current?

1. What is a toroidal solenoid?

A toroidal solenoid is a type of electromagnetic coil that is shaped like a doughnut or torus. It is often used in electrical and engineering applications to produce a magnetic field.

2. How does a toroidal solenoid produce energy?

A toroidal solenoid produces energy by converting electrical energy into magnetic energy. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to power devices or equipment.

3. What are the applications of a toroidal solenoid?

Toroidal solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in transformers, generators, motors, and electromagnets. They are also used in particle accelerators and medical equipment like MRI machines.

4. How does the energy of a toroidal solenoid compare to other types of solenoids?

The energy of a toroidal solenoid is typically higher than other types of solenoids due to its unique shape and design. The magnetic field produced by a toroidal solenoid is more concentrated and consistent, making it more efficient for energy conversion.

5. Can the energy of a toroidal solenoid be controlled?

Yes, the energy of a toroidal solenoid can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric current flowing through the coil. By changing the current, the strength of the magnetic field and the energy output can be altered.

Back