What is the Equation for Force of Friction?

In summary, the force of friction is calculated using the equation Ff= ucosAngle, with u being the coefficient of friction and N being the normal force. This equation can be applied to both a horizontal plane and an inclined surface, with the angle being taken into account. The force of friction is the maximum force that can be exerted in a given circumstance and is different for each type of surface.
paigegail
I think the reason that my problems have arisen is because of my equation for the force of friction. I have

Ff= ucosAngle

That right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force due to friction:

[tex]F = \mu N = \mu m g[/tex]

Where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction (either static of kinetic), and [itex]N[/itex] is the normal force. On a horizontal plane, the normal force is just the weight of the object, which is [itex]mg[/itex].

- Warren

And to include the angle;
[tex]
F_f=\mu mg cos \alpha
[/tex]

It is the limiting force of friction or say max friction force exerted and f force due to friction depends on the circumstance

For eg moving on a plane surface Chroots Ans is correct and in case if body is on inclined surface Kishtiks Ans is correct

Originally posted by himanshu121
For eg moving on a plane surface Chroots Ans is correct and in case if body is on inclined surface Kishtiks Ans is correct
I love my equation. What is the angle for a plane surface? 0? Then what is cos0? 1? Then what is 1.mu mg? mu mg? Are the two eqs the same?:smile:

Originally posted by himanshu121
It is the limiting force of friction or say max friction force exerted and f force due to friction depends on the circumstance

lol rofl same eq man.

It is not same equation

It is the case of the equation under the given conditions only

The force of friction is the force that resists the relative motion of two surfaces in contact. The force of friction is the force that resists the relative motion of two surfaces in contact. ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the Equation for Force of Friction?

What is the force of friction equation?

The force of friction equation is an equation used to calculate the force of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is represented as F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the nature of the surfaces in contact. Other factors that can affect the force of friction include the roughness of the surfaces, the presence of lubricants, and the speed of movement.

How do you calculate the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force of friction for different values of the normal force and plotting a graph.

What are the units of the force of friction?

The units of the force of friction depend on the units used for the coefficient of friction and the normal force. If the coefficient of friction is given in decimal form, then the force of friction will have the same units as the normal force. If the coefficient of friction is given in percentage form, then the force of friction will have the same units as the normal force multiplied by 100.

How does the force of friction affect motion?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of an object, which can slow down or stop the object's movement. It can also cause an object to change direction or rotate. The force of friction is an important factor in determining the speed and direction of an object's motion.