What is the expression for a series of sine equations in a spring-mass system?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for a series of sine equations in a problem involving masses and springs. The equation in question includes a function x_k, which is dependent on two variables and is applied to all elements in the system. The equation without this expression becomes the wave equation, but when applied to the whole system, the expression may cancel out due to the range of sine values. Other attempts include adding a constant to the wave equation to account for the weights.
Brian4455

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out what the expression of a series of sine equations would be. The problem deals with a series of masses attached by springs. In an equation describing the energy at a specific mass in the structure there is an expression that looks like this:

- B/m * (2pi/c) * sin ( 2pi/c * x_k)

x_k is a function not a partial derivative. It is the displacement function for the kth element in the spring mass system. The function x_k is dependent on two variables, one time and one displacement.

So I'm trying to take the above expression which is for the kth element and apply the expression to all the elements in the system.

Homework Equations

The equation the above expression comes from is the following:

x_k" = d/m(x_(k+1) - 2x_k + x_(k-1)) - B/m *(2pi/c)*sin(2pi/c*x_k)

when the expression I am having trouble with is left out the equation becomes the wave equation when applied to the whole system. So it would be:

d^2x/dt^2 = K/u*(d^2x/dz^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the expression goes to 0 when applied to the whole system. Sine ranges in value from -1 to 1 and all of these terms ranging in value from -1 to 1 would cancel each other out. I might be thinking of a perfect situation though. 2pi/c*x_k might continually create angle values that make sine return all positive values or all negative values. I've considered using Power Series but I think that doesn't apply to this problem. The key is to account for the values that x_k will give.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess my latest attempt would be to add the expression:

+ F*B/m*(2pi/c)

to the wave equation when taking into account all of the weights. F is the new constant and it could be positive or negative. So I guess I see the equation resulting being the wave equation with a constant added on the end of it. I was thinking that the expression made the wave equation quasilinear but now I'm thinking the expression is constant and not dependent on the funciton x.

Related to What is the expression for a series of sine equations in a spring-mass system?

1. What is a series of sine functions?

A series of sine functions is a mathematical representation of a sine wave that consists of multiple sine waves added together. It is often used to model periodic phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How is a series of sine functions different from a single sine function?

A series of sine functions is different from a single sine function in that it is composed of multiple sine waves with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. This allows for a more accurate representation of complex periodic functions.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients in a series of sine functions?

The coefficients in a series of sine functions represent the amplitudes of the individual sine waves that make up the series. They determine the shape and overall behavior of the function.

4. How is a series of sine functions used in data analysis?

A series of sine functions can be used in data analysis to fit a model to a set of data points that exhibit periodic behavior. By adjusting the coefficients, the series can be optimized to best fit the data and make predictions about future values.

5. Are there any real-world applications of series of sine functions?

Yes, series of sine functions have many real-world applications including signal processing, audio and video compression, and modeling natural phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic radiation.