What is the formula for calculating the average stopping force in this scenario?

In summary, a 68 kg man neglects to bend his knees while dropping 0.60 m from a window to a concrete patio. It takes him 2.0 cm to stop. Using the formula F=ma, the average acceleration is calculated to be 293.95 m/s^2. However, the problem asks for the magnitude of the average stopping force, which is not the same as the net force. The net force is 199988 N, but the stopping force refers to the force of the concrete/ground on the man. Taking into account the force of gravity that caused the man to drop, the correct formula to find the stopping force is F=ma+mg.
physics19
A 68 kg man drops to a concrete patio from a window only 0.60 m above the patio. He neglects to bend his knees on landing, taking 2.0 cm to stop. What is the magnitude of the average stopping force?

-From this problem I have already found that the average acceleration is 293.95 m/s^2. I tried to find the average force by using the formula F=ma. F=68kg(293.95m/s^2)=199988 N. However that is not right. I need is a formula to compute the average stopping force. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, physics19!

Your method looks good, but you have an extra factor of 10 for some reason.

Try multiplying 68 x 293.95 again.

Thank you.. I actually copied down the wrong number when I inputed the answer. I got 19988N as my answer but that is not correct. My friend came up with the same result too and both of us are scratching our heads because we are not sure why it is not the correct answer. I was thinking that there may actually be another force that I have to account for but am not sure.

physics19 said:
Thank you.. I actually copied down the wrong number when I inputed the answer. I got 19988N as my answer but that is not correct. My friend came up with the same result too and both of us are scratching our heads because we are not sure why it is not the correct answer. I was thinking that there may actually be another force that I have to account for but am not sure.
Yes, there is another force. The wording of the problem is a tad bit confusing, but it does ask for the stopping force, which I take as the normal force of the ground on the person, and not the net force, which you have calculated. The normal force acts up; what other force on the person acts down??

Okay, I might know what's going on now.

Acceleration x mass gives the net force acting on the man.

"Stopping force" refers to the force of the concrete/ground on the man. What other force also acts on him?

Redbelly98 said:
Okay, I might know what's going on now.

Acceleration x mass gives the net force acting on the man.

"Stopping force" refers to the force of the concrete/ground on the man. What other force also acts on him?

hmmm I am not sure... this is a very confusing problem that the teacher has asked us!

What force caused the man to drop in the first place?

the gravity.

1. What is the formula for finding the average force?

The formula for finding the average force is: average force = change in momentum / change in time.

2. How do you calculate the change in momentum?

The change in momentum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its change in velocity.

3. What units are used for average force?

The units for average force are typically measured in Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

4. Can the average force be negative?

Yes, the average force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion.

5. How is the average force related to acceleration?

The average force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that as the average force increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa.