What is the frictional force on the horse while pulling a wagon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the horizontal frictional force exerted on a horse pulling a wagon, given the masses of the horse and wagon, and the acceleration of the system. Through analyzing the forces acting on the horse and setting up Newton's second law, it is determined that the correct expression for the frictional force is Ma+ma. This highlights the importance of friction in allowing the horse to walk and pull the load successfully.
asheik234
Frensley_Forces_Horizontal_005.gif

Homework Statement

A horse of mass M pulls a wagon of mass m so that the horse and wagon have an acceleration a. Assume the wagon wheels have frictionless bearings. Write expressions for the following in terms of m, M, and a.

(A) The horizontal frictional force that the ground exerts on the horse.

Homework Equations

F=ma

Ffr=μFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to be Ma-ma, but that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the horse has acceleration a, then it *must* have a NET force of Ma acting on it. That's just Newton's second law. This means that the vector sum of all forces acting on it must be Ma. So, what forces are acting on it, and what are their magnitudes and directions? Draw a free body diagram for the horse. Hint: one of the forces acting on the horse is because of Newton's third law.

Yes, but then wouldn't the answer be Ma-ma, the net force subtracted by the force tension. Newton's third law is that there is an equal reaction to every action. How does that apply here?

asheik234 said:
Yes, but then wouldn't the answer be Ma-ma, the net force subtracted by the force tension. Newton's third law is that there is an equal reaction to every action. How does that apply here?

**Did you draw the free body diagram for the horse?** I.e just the horse and the forces that act on it, with all other elements of the system removed. Step 1. What forces act on the horse? List them for me:

cepheid said:
**Did you draw the free body diagram for the horse?** I.e just the horse and the forces that act on it, with all other elements of the system removed. Step 1. What forces act on the horse? List them for me:

Force normal, force weight (which both cancel out), force tension, and force friction, which both point to the left, and then Ma-force friction and force tension to the right. Am I missing anything?

asheik234 said:
Force normal, force weight (which both cancel out), force tension, and force friction, which both point to the left, and then Ma-force friction and force tension to the right. Am I missing anything?

There are only two horizontal forces. What you're calling tension, and the friction. Are you SURE that the friction points to the left? When the horse tries to walk forward, in which direction does the hoof want to slide relative to the ground? The friction force will oppose this sliding motion.

Step 2: Once you've got all the signs right, set up Newton's second law:

sum of horizontal forces = Ma.

cepheid said:
There are only two horizontal forces. What you're calling tension, and the friction. Are you SURE that the friction points to the left? When the horse tries to walk forward, in which direction does the hoof want to slide relative to the ground? The friction force will oppose this sliding motion.

Step 2: Once you've got all the signs right, set up Newton's second law:

sum of horizontal forces = Ma.

Ohhh I understand now, the force friction is always in the opposite direction as the force tension, thus it would be Ma+ma. Thank You!

asheik234 said:
Ohhh I understand now, the force friction is always in the opposite direction as the force tension, thus it would be Ma+ma. Thank You!

Yup. Friction is required for walking, and a LOT of friction is required for walking while pulling a heavy load, otherwise your feet just slip.

You're welcome!

1. What is a force in physics?

A force in physics is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It can be represented as a vector with direction and magnitude.

2. What are the different types of forces in physics?

There are four fundamental forces in physics: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force. Other types of forces include normal force, friction, tension, and applied force.

3. How do you calculate the net force in a physics problem?

To calculate the net force, you need to add all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where you consider both the magnitude and direction of each force.

4. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How does Newton's second law of motion relate to force?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration of the object.