What is the initial force required to start an electric motor and generator?

In summary, the electric motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. The initial force needed to start the motor is the force needed to get it started turning. The torque of the motor is the force multiplied by the shaft's axle distance.
wassim99
Hello all,
So I am confused about a a scenario and I hope you guys can hook me up with some explanation.
So I am trying to find the initial force needed for an electric motor to turn. I am not looking for torque or energy just the Newtons just to start from scratch and keep going with the math. with a force X during a certain time with a length Y of the shaft, etc.. I think this is the best way to understand how does the electric motor work. so if I have a the motor connected to a wall plug or running on gas or battery how much force will it take that after we convert it to torqu it will be enough to turn the electric motor shaft.
now let's assume the motor shaft hooks to a small generator through a belt. How much force will the generator need to turn.
I believe the force of the motor should be the sum of both forces or something within those lines. Can you guys tell me how to get the initial force on each, just the force to get it to start turning. I am attaching a little drawing to show the setup.
please use any initial assumptions you want as long as it serves the purpose of finding the initial force.
Thanks a lot for your time and help

Attachments

• motor+generator.png
    motor+generator.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 555
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find the torque of the motor? From there you can relate the force given you have the dimensions of the rotor.

wassim99 said:
...so if I have a the motor connected to a wall plug or running on gas or battery ...

I'm still trying to figure out how to run an electric motor on gas. Hmmm...

thanks all, that was fast.. :)
so Assuming that I need 10HP to start moving an electric car. HP=CxFxRPM/33000. usually it is 2TT (TxRPM)/33000 but torque is FxR and 2TT xR is C (circumference).
So F=CxRPM/330,00 x 10 =CxRPM/330,000. But How would I find the RPM at start, can I assume it is 1 RPM (just to get the car moving)
And the major question is: if the motor uses a 100N force that gives a 200Nm Torque (just for example). Will the torque on the generator attached to the shaft (in the picture above) be the motor force x the shaft or axle distance to where the generator connects to the motor?
THanks

Related to What is the initial force required to start an electric motor and generator?

What is an electric motor?

Electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, causing motion or rotation. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (moving part) that are separated by an air gap. When an electric current flows through the stator, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the rotor, causing it to rotate.

How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works on the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current is passed through a conductor placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force. In an electric motor, this force causes the rotor to rotate. The rotor is connected to a shaft, which can be used to power various mechanical devices.

What is the difference between an electric motor and a generator?

An electric motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, while a generator does the opposite - it converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. In a motor, electrical current is supplied to produce motion, while in a generator, motion is supplied to produce electricity.

What are the types of electric motors?

There are various types of electric motors, including AC motors, DC motors, synchronous motors, and induction motors. AC motors include single-phase and three-phase motors, while DC motors include brushed and brushless motors. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different applications.

What are the applications of electric motors and generators?

Electric motors and generators are used in a wide range of applications, including household appliances, industrial machinery, transportation, and renewable energy systems. They are also used in various electronic devices such as fans, pumps, compressors, and computers. Generators are commonly used to produce electricity in power plants and to power backup systems.