What is the integral of sin(x^2) dx?

  • Thread starter Thread starter -EquinoX-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dx Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 350K views
-EquinoX-
Messages
561
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



what is the integral of sin(x^2) dx?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's one of those integrals like e^(-x^2) that doesn't have an elementary antiderivative. Why are you asking?
 
That does not have an integral in terms of elementary functions.
 
Is that REALLY the whole problem? Or is there more you aren't telling us about?
 
this is the whole problem:

integral from 0 to 5, integral from y^2 to 25 of y * sin(x^2) dx dy

It's a double integral
 
So, since you cannot integrate sin(x2) in elementary functions, reverse the order of integration, as I suggested.
 
ok so after reversing it I have integral from 0 to 25 , integral from 0 to sqrt(x) of y sin(x^2) dy dx. Doing the first integration results in integral from 0 to 25 of (sin(x^2)*x)/2 and I got -cos(x^2)/4 evaluated from 0 to 25. Is this correct so far?
 
-EquinoX- said:

Homework Statement



what is the integral of sin(x^2) dx?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


how i can evaluate it
gi me now
 
please give me a solution no to me
many thanks to you.
 
Why have you suddenly jumped into this thread from back in February? Did you not read the previous posts? As said in the very first response, [itex]sin(x^2)[/itex] does NOT have an elementary anti-derivative.

After EquinoX told us that the problem was really
[tex]\int_{y= 0}^5\int_{x= y^2}^{25} y sin(x^2)dx dy[/tex]
it was suggested that he reverse the order of integration. Doing that it becomes
[tex]\int_{x= 0}^{25}}\int_{y= 0}^{\sqrt{x}} y sin(x^2)dy dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_{x= 0}^{25}\left[y^2\right]_{y=0}^{\sqrt{x}} sin(x^2) dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_{x= 0}^{25} x sin(x^2) dx[/tex]
which can be integrated by using the substitution [itex]u= x^2[/itex]:
If [itex]u= x^2[/itex], du= 2x dx so x dx= (1/2)du. When x= 0, u= 0 and when x= 25, u= 625 so the integral is
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{625} sin(u) du= -\frac{1}{4}\left[cos(u)\right]_0^{625}[/tex]
[tex]= -\frac{1}{4}(-0.984387)= 0.246097[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edilson
According to Maple, it is a Fresnel S integral...
[itex]\int \sin(x^2)\,dx =<br /> \frac{\sqrt {2}\sqrt {\pi }}{2}\,{\rm S} \left( {\frac {\sqrt {2}x}{<br /> \sqrt {\pi }}} \right) [/itex]
 
sin x^2 = 1 - cos 2x
and we can use 1 and cos 2x seperatly and solve this problem.
 
anushyan88 said:
sin x^2 = 1 - cos 2x
and we can use 1 and cos 2x seperatly and solve this problem.
No, "sin x^2" MEANS sin(x^2) and cannot be integrated in that way. If your function is really (sin(x))^2= sin^2(x), you should have told us that immediately.
 
if we do a maclaurin series expansion on sin(x^2) can't we use that to find the integral of sin(x^2)dx?
 
Of course; the solution to integrals almost always exists, even if you cannot express it in terms of elementary functions. This means that the solution series won't have a nicely identifiable set of coefficients -- you'll need to leave it in the series form.
 
INTsin x^2dx
=INT(1-cos2x)/2.dx
=1/2INTdx-INTcos2xdx
=x/2-sin2x/2
 
So you resurrected this thread from over a year ago just to say you did not understand it?

The original question was to integrate [itex]sin(x^2)[/itex], NOT [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex] for which your solution would be appropriate.

That was said back in November of 2009.
 
I think I have a solution. I hope it was not so late :).

tan(x^2)=m

dx=cos(x^2)dm integral [sin(x^2)] = integral [mdm/(m^2+1)]

m^2+1=a and 2mdm=da ...

integral [sin(x^2)] = 0.5*ln[(tan(x^2))^2+1]+c
 
micromass said:
Why is this true?

Well, if dx = cos(x^2) dm, then sec(x^2) = dm/dx and m=... I got lost.
 
Actualy is not true. I have done a misteke when calculete the [tan(x^2)]'

2xdx=cos^2(x^2)dm is true

if I find a solution with this I ll write.
 
Last edited:
Mstf_akkoc said:
Actualy is not true. I have done a misteke when calculete the [tan(x^2)]'

2xdx=cos(x^2)dm is true

if I find a solution with this I ll write.

No no no.

If tan(x^2) = m, then [tex]2x sec^2(x^2) dx = dm[/tex] and [tex]2x dx = cos^2(x^2) dm[/tex]

Can you see why?
 
HallsofIvy said:
Why have you suddenly jumped into this thread from back in February? Did you not read the previous posts? As said in the very first response, [itex]sin(x^2)[/itex] does NOT have an elementary anti-derivative.

After EquinoX told us that the problem was really
[tex]\int_{y= 0}^5\int_{x= y^2}^{25} y sin(x^2)dx dy[/tex]
it was suggested that he reverse the order of integration. Doing that it becomes
[tex]\int_{x= 0}^{25}\int_{y= 0}^{\sqrt{x}} y sin(x^2)dy dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_{x= 0}^{25}\left[y^2\right]_{y=0}^{\sqrt{x}} sin(x^2) dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_{x= 0}^{25} x sin(x^2) dx[/tex]
which can be integrated by using the substitution [itex]u= x^2[/itex]:
If [itex]u= x^2[/itex], du= 2x dx so x dx= (1/2)du. When x= 0, u= 0 and when x= 25, u= 625 so the integral is
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{625} sin(u) du= -\frac{1}{4}\left[cos(u)\right]_0^{625}[/tex]
[tex]= -\frac{1}{4}(-0.984387)= 0.246097[/tex]

I have a problem. Isn't:
[tex]\left[cos(u)\right]_0^{625} = cos(625)-cos(0) = (-0.984387)-(1)=-1.984387[/tex]

Therefore;
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{625} sin(u) du = -\frac{1}{4}(-1.984387)= 0.496097[/tex]