1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small object of mass 3.80 g and charge -18uC (-18 x 10^-6 or microcoulombs) "floats" in a uniform electric field. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    F = Eq

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already have the magnitude down. It's 2070 N/C

Why does the electric field point down though? I don't fully understand the direction of electric fields with positive or negative charges in them. can someone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Positive charges move with the electric field lines and negative charges move against the electric filed lines. So if the electric field is down, a negative charge will experience an upward force against gravity and therefore float.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    so if the electric field is down, that means it's of a negative charge?

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say at a point P in space you are told that the electric field is straight down and that it is produced by a single charge. This can mean one of two things:

(a) There is a positive charge directly above point A or
    (b) there is a negative charge directly below point A.

Now if I place a negative charge at point A it will experience a force up regardless of whether (a) or (b) is the case.

6. Nov 27, 2009 #5
    it wasn't very clearly explained in my book. Much thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook