What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

In summary, a small object with a mass of 3.80 g and a charge of -18uC is floating in a uniform electric field. The magnitude of the electric field is 2070 N/C and the direction of the electric field is down, indicating the presence of a negative charge. This means that the object experiences an upward force against gravity and is able to float due to the negative charge in the electric field. The direction of electric fields can be determined by the direction in which a positive or negative charge would move in that field.
johnnyies

Homework Statement

A small object of mass 3.80 g and charge -18uC (-18 x 10^-6 or microcoulombs) "floats" in a uniform electric field. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = Eq

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have the magnitude down. It's 2070 N/C

Why does the electric field point down though? I don't fully understand the direction of electric fields with positive or negative charges in them. can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Positive charges move with the electric field lines and negative charges move against the electric filed lines. So if the electric field is down, a negative charge will experience an upward force against gravity and therefore float.

so if the electric field is down, that means it's of a negative charge?

Say at a point P in space you are told that the electric field is straight down and that it is produced by a single charge. This can mean one of two things:

(a) There is a positive charge directly above point A or
(b) there is a negative charge directly below point A.

Now if I place a negative charge at point A it will experience a force up regardless of whether (a) or (b) is the case.

it wasn't very clearly explained in my book. Much thanks!

1. What is the meaning of magnitude in the context of electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field refers to the strength of the field at a specific point in space. It is a measure of how much force a charged particle would experience if placed at that point in the field.

2. How is the magnitude of an electric field calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field is calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E represents the electric field strength, F represents the electrostatic force, and q represents the charge of the particle experiencing the force.

3. What units are used to measure the magnitude of an electric field?

The SI unit for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C). However, other commonly used units include volts per meter (V/m) and statvolts per centimeter (statV/cm).

4. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. The field lines always point away from positively charged objects and towards negatively charged objects.

5. Can the direction of an electric field change?

Yes, the direction of an electric field can change depending on the location and orientation of the charged objects creating the field. It can also be affected by the presence of other charged particles in the surrounding space.