What is the magnitude of the electric field?

In summary, the electric field magnitude is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a particular point in space, defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point. It is calculated using the equation E = F/q, with units of newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system and volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system. The magnitude of an electric field decreases with distance, following an inverse square law. It can also be negative, indicating the direction of the electric field.
las90

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the electric field in the region between the plates?
The charge on the sphere is 5.00 mC
The image needed to visualize situation:
http://www.webassign.net/userimages/66097?db=v4net
mass of sphere = 3.2grams

Homework Equations

F = EQ
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew a free body diagram. Tension went up along the thread, Fg (gravity) was pointing down at the electrical force was pointing to the right. I then solved for Fg, which I got .03136N from multiplying (9.8)(.0032). I then set Ft(tension) * cos30 = .03136, which I then got Ft = .0362114089. I then plugged my Ft, multiplied it by sin30 in order to get the electrical force, which turned out to be .0181057044. From there, I used the equation F=EQ, which I did (.0181057044)(5e-3), which i then ended up with 3.621140888 N/C which was obviously the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. In order to calculate the magnitude of the electric field in the region between the plates, we need to use the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

In this scenario, we have a charge of 5.00 mC (5e-3 C) and a force of 0.0181057044 N. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

E = 0.0181057044 N / 5e-3 C = 3.621140888 N/C

So, your calculation was correct. The issue may be with the units - make sure to double check and use consistent units throughout your calculations. Also, it is important to note that the direction of the electric field is from positive to negative charges, so in this case, the electric field would be pointing from the positively charged sphere towards the negatively charged plate.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your studies!

The magnitude of the electric field in the region between the plates can be found by using the equation F=EQ, where F is the force exerted on the sphere, E is the electric field, and Q is the charge on the sphere. In this case, the charge on the sphere is given as 5.00 mC. However, in order to calculate the force on the sphere, we need to consider all the forces acting on it. These include the force of gravity (Fg) and the tension in the thread (Ft).

To find the tension in the thread, we can use the equation Ft*cos30 = Fg, where Ft is the tension and cos30 is the cosine of the angle between the thread and the horizontal. From this, we can solve for Ft and get a value of 0.0362114089 N.

Now, to find the electrical force, we need to use the equation Ft*sin30 = EQ, where sin30 is the sine of the angle between the thread and the horizontal. From this, we can solve for E and get a value of 3.621140888 N/C. This is the magnitude of the electric field in the region between the plates.

It is important to note that in this scenario, the mass of the sphere does not affect the magnitude of the electric field. The only factors that affect the electric field are the charge on the sphere and the distance between the plates.

1. What is the definition of electric field magnitude?

The electric field magnitude is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a particular point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point.

2. How is the magnitude of an electric field calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field magnitude, F is the force acting on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What are the units of electric field magnitude?

The units of electric field magnitude are newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system and volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system.

4. How does the distance affect the magnitude of an electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases proportionally to the square of the distance.

5. Can the magnitude of an electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of an electric field can be negative. This indicates the direction of the electric field, with a negative magnitude indicating an electric field pointing in the opposite direction of a positive magnitude.