What is the mass's total acceleration at the bottom of its swing?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the gravitational acceleration on Jupiter and the correct method for solving this problem. The initial approach was incorrect as it involved solving for the force Jupiter exerts on an object rather than the acceleration of gravity on Jupiter. The correct method involves using the equation Fg = ma and plugging in the mass of the object and the universal gravitational constant to solve for the gravitational acceleration on Jupiter. There was also a discussion about using the correct units to match the multiple choice answers.
riseofphoenix
ScreenShot2012-12-11at83246PM.png

The answer to this is up (d).
But why?
Is it because centripetal acceleration is pointing to the center of the pivot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how would I go about solving this problem :(

ScreenShot2012-12-11at90923PM.png

This is what I did:

F = gm1m2/r2

FJupiter = gJupiter(m1m2/r2)
FJupiter = gJupiter(1.9 x 1027/71.4922)
FJupiter = gJupiter(3.71 x 1023)

I don't know where to go from here :(

Is it because centripetal acceleration is pointing to the center of the pivot?
I believe this is correct.

In regards to how you should go about finding the gravitational acceleration you would feel on Jupiter, keep in mind that you are supposed to be finding acceleration. You look like you were solving for the force Jupiter will exert on an object, not the acceleration of gravity on Jupiter. This is a problem because the force that Jupiter will exert on an object depends on the mass of the object. It is true that
Fg = G Mm/r2

What else is Fg equal to? Could you use that relationship to find the acceleration on Jupiter?

cbasst said:
I believe this is correct.

In regards to how you should go about finding the gravitational acceleration you would feel on Jupiter, keep in mind that you are supposed to be finding acceleration. You look like you were solving for the force Jupiter will exert on an object, not the acceleration of gravity on Jupiter. This is a problem because the force that Jupiter will exert on an object depends on the mass of the object. It is true that
Fg = G Mm/r2

What else is Fg equal to? Could you use that relationship to find the acceleration on Jupiter?

Fg = ma

So I would do this?

mg = gjupiterm1m2/r2
(1.9 x 1027)(9.81) = gjupiter(1.9 x 1027/71.4922)
(1.9 x 1027)(9.81) = gjupiter(3.71 x 1023)
1.86 x 1028 = gjupiter(3.71 x 1023)
1.86 x 1028/(3.71 x 1023) = gjupiter
50239.89 = gjupiter
5.02 x 10-4 = gjupiter

That's wrong :(

Why did you insert gJupiter in the right hand side of the equation? G is a universal constant, and not related specifically to Jupiter. And where did the 9.81 come from? We are talking about Jupiter, not earth. In you most recent post, m is equal to m2, and g is what you are solving for; m2 is the mass of Jupiter.

Chestermiller said:
Why did you insert gJupiter in the right hand side of the equation? G is a universal constant, and not related specifically to Jupiter. And where did the 9.81 come from? We are talking about Jupiter, not earth. In you most recent post, m is equal to m2, and g is what you are solving for; m2 is the mass of Jupiter.

So,
mg = (6.67 x 10-11)m1(1.9 x 1027)/71.4922
(1.9 x 1027)g = (6.67 x 10-11)m1(1.9 x 1027)/71.4922

What about m1??

riseofphoenix said:
So,
mg = (6.67 x 10-11)m1(1.9 x 1027)/71.4922
(1.9 x 1027)g = (6.67 x 10-11)m1(1.9 x 1027)/71.4922

What about m1??

I'm sorry. I made a typo in my previous reply. Please excuse me. It should have read:

m = m2 = your mass

m1 = mass of Jupiter

m = m2 = your mass

Just to explain this a little more to hopefully help riseofphoenix understand it: you can't plug in the mass of Jupiter to find the force Jupiter exerts on the object. Doing so would be like trying to find my weight (also known as the force that the Earth exerts on me) with the equation
w = mearth*g
That doesn't really make sense, does it? Hopefully not! If I want to find my weight, I need to use my mass! Thus to find the force that Jupiter exerts on the object, you have to multiply the mass of the object by the gravitational acceleration on Jupiter, which is why the mass of the object appears on the left side of your equation. Then you can see that the mass of the object cancels out since it is on both sides of the equation and you are left with an equation containing only known variables.

Chestermiller said:
I'm sorry. I made a typo in my previous reply. Please excuse me. It should have read:

m = m2 = your mass

m1 = mass of Jupiter

This is what i did:

[STRIKE]m2[/STRIKE]g = (6.67 x 10-11)(1.9 x 1027)[STRIKE](m2)[/STRIKE]/71.4922
g = (6.67 x 10-11)(1.9 x 1027)/71.4922
g = (1.2673 x 1017)/5111.106064
g = 2.479 x 1013

?

Last edited:
The method is correct. Now you just need to check your units to make sure that they match up with the units given in the multiple choice answers.

[STRIKE]m2[/STRIKE]g = (6.67 x 10-11)(1.9 x 1027)[STRIKE](m2)[/STRIKE]/71.4922
g = (6.67 x 10-11)(1.9 x 1027)/714920002
g = (1.2673 x 1017)/(5.111106064 x 1015)
g = 24.79 m/s2

Thanks!

Related to What is the mass's total acceleration at the bottom of its swing?

What is the mass's total acceleration at the bottom of its swing?

This question is asking about the acceleration of a mass at the bottom of its swing, which is a common concept in physics. The answer to this question depends on a few factors such as the mass of the object, the length of the swing, and the force acting on the object. In general, the total acceleration at the bottom of a swing is equal to the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) plus any additional acceleration caused by other forces.

How is the total acceleration at the bottom of the swing calculated?

The total acceleration at the bottom of the swing can be calculated using the formula a = g + a₂, where "g" is the acceleration due to gravity and "a₂" is any additional acceleration caused by other forces. This formula takes into account the fact that the direction of acceleration changes at the bottom of the swing, thus the total acceleration includes both the downward acceleration due to gravity and any upward acceleration caused by other forces.

What are some examples of other forces that can affect the total acceleration at the bottom of the swing?

Other forces that can affect the total acceleration at the bottom of the swing include air resistance, friction, and tension in the swing's support structure. These forces can either add to or subtract from the acceleration due to gravity, resulting in a different total acceleration at the bottom of the swing.

How does the total acceleration change as the mass swings back and forth?

The total acceleration at the bottom of the swing will change as the mass swings back and forth due to the changing direction of acceleration. At the lowest point of the swing, the acceleration will be at its highest point, while at the highest point of the swing, the acceleration will be at its lowest point. This is because at the bottom of the swing, the acceleration is directed downwards, while at the top of the swing, the acceleration is directed upwards.

What is the relationship between the length of the swing and the total acceleration at the bottom?

There is a direct relationship between the length of the swing and the total acceleration at the bottom. As the length of the swing increases, the total acceleration at the bottom will also increase. This is because a longer swing allows for a greater distance for the mass to accelerate, resulting in a higher total acceleration at the bottom. Similarly, a shorter swing will result in a lower total acceleration at the bottom.