What is the Maximum Range of a Fired Shot from a Launcher?

In summary, the conversation discusses using equations to determine the maximum range of a ball fired from a launcher at a 45° angle. The relevant equations used are V^2 = V^2-2(a)(d) and R = (V02 Sin2θ)/g. The initial speed is found to be 76.68 m/s and the maximum range is calculated to be 600m. The participant also confirms that the initial speed will be the same regardless of the firing angle.
AdsBerger

Homework Statement

A launcher fires a ball that weighs 30kg straight up to a height of 300m. What is the maximum range of the ball could be fired at?

Homework Equations

V^2 = V^2-2(a)(d)
R = ( V02 Sin2θ ) / g

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the maximum range i know that it has to be fired at a 45° angle.
It is in our energy and momentum etc. unit, practice so I am guessing equations relevant to that is what i must use.
I used this equation to find the Velocity when fired straight up. Which i got 76.68 m/s. Which if i drew a triangle to show the projectory, would be my height. I then used 76.68SIN(45°) to get 54.22 m/s. Which is my x & y velocity. Then i used the range formula to get 300 m.
Is anything wrong with my work, shouldn't it be a different answer than 300m.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the initial speed?
What is the expression for the maximum range?
You don't really need to calculate the components of the velocity if you already know the formula for the range.

So the initial speed no matter the angle you fire at will all be the same?

I believe i ended up getting it. answer 600m

Yes, this looks OK.

1. What is the maximum range of a fired shot?

The maximum range of a fired shot depends on a variety of factors such as the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is fired, and the air resistance. It is typically calculated using the projectile motion equations and can vary greatly depending on the type of weapon and ammunition used.

2. How does air resistance affect the maximum range of a fired shot?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts against the motion of a projectile. As the projectile travels through the air, it experiences drag, which slows it down and reduces its maximum range. The higher the air resistance, the shorter the maximum range of a fired shot will be.

3. What is the optimal angle for achieving maximum range when firing a shot?

The optimal angle for achieving maximum range when firing a shot is 45 degrees. This is because at this angle, the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity are equal, resulting in the longest possible range. However, this angle may vary depending on the specific situation and the type of projectile being fired.

4. Can the maximum range of a fired shot be increased?

Yes, the maximum range of a fired shot can be increased by increasing the initial velocity of the projectile, reducing the air resistance, or adjusting the firing angle to the optimal angle. Additionally, using specialized ammunition or weapons can also increase the maximum range of a fired shot.

5. How is the maximum range of a fired shot measured?

The maximum range of a fired shot is typically measured using a ballistic chronograph, which measures the velocity of the projectile at a specific point along its trajectory. This data can then be used to calculate the maximum range using projectile motion equations.