What is the meaning of 30W amplifier?

• Thread starter Nikhil N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, an amplifier rated at 30 watts might deliver up to 30 volts RMS into a load of 30 ohms. However, the real power delivered by the amplifier may be much less than 30 watts.
Nikhil N
When I have gone through spec of amplifier, I saw 30W for output. Is it mean that even if I am connecting a load of less impedance, say 30ohm, will I get 30V output voltage across the load?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably not. Usually that is the power at a particular impedance -- which should be given as well, somewhere in the specs.
And 30 W can mean 30 W peak with the (rms) continuous power out considerably less.
[edit] why don't you post the specs (or a link) so we know what we are talking about

You're maximum output voltage is 70.7 volts.
With a peak sine wave signal, 30ohm load may draw ((70.7)^2)/2/30 = 83W, so your 30W amplifier would clip severely. But if you turn the volume down to 42V peak, you would be all set.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
You're maximum output voltage is 70.7 volts.

Where did that come from?

Likes tech99
Are you sure that's 30 ohms? Cuz that's a lot

Maybe a guitar amp?

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
Where did that come from?
It's a standard for some sound systems - although perhaps not if it's just 30W.
It's actually a maximum of 70.7Vrms. It puts the maximum DC at 100V.
If it's not a 70.7 volt system, it probably doesn't really "clip". Instead, it just gets muddy - or pops a breaker.

Oh ok a pa

.Scott said:
It's a standard for some sound systems - although perhaps not if it's just 30W.
It's actually a maximum of 70.7Vrms. It puts the maximum DC at 100V.
If it's not a 70.7 volt system, it probably doesn't really "clip". Instead, it just gets muddy - or pops a breaker.

Andy SV said:
Oh ok a pa

yeah ... very different to a home stereo which will be either 4 Ohm or 8 OhmWe really need the OP @Nikhil N to come back and clarify what he is talking about so that we all don't have to make wild guessesDave

Likes BvU
Andy SV said:
Are you sure that's 30 ohms? Cuz that's a lot

Maybe a guitar amp?
Its just for calculation I took as 30ohm, Actually I have load of 12ohm

davenn said:
yeah ... very different to a home stereo which will be either 4 Ohm or 8 OhmWe really need the OP @Nikhil N to come back and clarify what he is talking about so that we all don't have to make wild guessesDave
This is the amplifier I am using. I was using it last few days, but it is not working nowadays. So I am looking for a new amplifier to buy which suits for my experiment. Is there any problem, if we have switched on the amplifier without load? I read some where, for class D we should not turn on without load.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ECOCHY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Nikhil N said:
When I have gone through spec of amplifier, I saw 30W for output. Is it mean that even if I am connecting a load of less impedance, say 30ohm, will I get 30V output voltage across the load?
Good thing you finally posted the specs.
Did you miss the 4-8 ##\Omega## ?
Did you mention 30 ##\Omega## because you have such speakers at hand ?
Did you also see the working voltage is 12 V, 2 A ? That is 24 W at 100% efficiency ... as the sum of two channels:rolleyes:
I wonder if someone can guestimate the rms power into 4 ##\Omega## ? and 30 ?

I think you'd need pretty efficient speakers if you want to use this thing on a motorbike - but then again, I'm not a subject expert.

Why not repair and upgrade the old amp it's got to be cheaper than a new one

Lepai ? They're only about twenty bucks US

Their true power is a fraction of what's advertised, Google will find test reports that show true power is overstated by about 4X.
To OP's original question,

What is the meaning of 30W amplifier?

The meaning is it should deliver thirty watts into its load.

Marketeers of audio stuff know how to lie with statistics
real useable power is called "RMS" which is not exactly taking the average but very similar.

For a very brief instant an amplifier can deliver watts nearly equal to (its supply voltage squared ) divided by (resistance of its load) ..
That is called 'Peak Instantaneous Power" and it's a pure marketing ploy "of dubious integrity", to borrow a phrase from Janis Ian...
It can deliver that power for only milliseconds not continuously.
Note the Lepai with supply voltage of nominal 12 volts and a load of four ohms might claim "peak instantaneous power" of perhaps almost 122 / 4 = 36 watts , and they do claim 30.
I'd expect realistically seven to twelve.

Manufacturers can include an internal booster power supply to give the amplifier higher voltage, which is how those preposterous car "Boomer " amps work, but don't expect that in your ten dollar Lepai.

Here's an article to peruse, written by engineers for anyone who wants to learn.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slea047a/slea047a.pdf

old jim

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook, Nikhil N, Andy SV and 1 other person
Hay thank you for posting that I consider my understanding of audio equipment to still need some corners knocked off and this should help

jim hardy said:
Lepai ? They're only about twenty bucks US

Their true power is a fraction of what's advertised, Google will find test reports that show true power is overstated by about 4X.
To OP's original question,
The meaning is it should deliver thirty watts into its load.

Marketeers of audio stuff know how to lie with statistics
real useable power is called "RMS" which is not exactly taking the average but very similar.

For a very brief instant an amplifier can deliver watts nearly equal to (its supply voltage squared ) divided by (resistance of its load) ..
That is called 'Peak Instantaneous Power" and it's a pure marketing ploy "of dubious integrity", to borrow a phrase from Janis Ian...
It can deliver that power for only milliseconds not continuously.
Note the Lepai with supply voltage of nominal 12 volts and a load of four ohms might claim "peak instantaneous power" of perhaps almost 122 / 4 = 36 watts , and they do claim 30.
I'd expect realistically seven to twelve.

Manufacturers can include an internal booster power supply to give the amplifier higher voltage, which is how those preposterous car "Boomer " amps work, but don't expect that in your ten dollar Lepai.

Here's an article to peruse, written by engineers for anyone who wants to learn.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slea047a/slea047a.pdf

old jim
Thanks for this detailed replay.

It's difficult to find what's inside that Lepai amplifier.

One source said it's heart is an LA4625 IC

datasheet at https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LA4625-D.PDF includes these graphs
Lepai_LPA6.jpg

it's an honest ten watts if you don't mind some distortion. Just a few percent won't be objectionable...

It's not class D though.

old jim

1. What does the "30W" in "30W amplifier" mean?

The "30W" in "30W amplifier" refers to the power output of the amplifier. It indicates that the amplifier can produce a maximum power output of 30 watts.

2. How does a 30W amplifier compare to other amplifiers?

A 30W amplifier is considered a mid-range amplifier in terms of power output. It is more powerful than a low-wattage amplifier, which typically ranges from 5-10 watts, but less powerful than high-wattage amplifiers that can produce 50 watts or more.

3. Can a 30W amplifier be used for all types of audio equipment?

Yes, a 30W amplifier can be used for a variety of audio equipment, including speakers, headphones, and musical instruments. However, it is important to check the compatibility of the amplifier with the specific equipment before use.

4. Is a 30W amplifier suitable for large venues or events?

No, a 30W amplifier is not typically suitable for large venues or events. It may not be powerful enough to provide adequate sound coverage for a larger space and may result in distortion or poor sound quality. In these cases, a higher-wattage amplifier would be more suitable.

5. Can a 30W amplifier be used for both home and professional use?

Yes, a 30W amplifier can be used for both home and professional use. It is a versatile option that can provide enough power for personal use at home and may also be suitable for small professional settings, such as recording studios or small live performances.