What is the meaning of k in E(k) diagram?

• Thread starter Nemanja989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, The conversation is about the physical interpretation of a parameter "k" in semiconductor physics, which can be either real or complex. It is related to the momentum of an electron and can be understood through the E(k) dispersion diagram. E(k) represents the kinetic energy of the electron, but also includes the potential energy Vo.
Nemanja989
hello :) ,

like I said in the title of this topic I am confused about physical interpretation of physical quantity ˝k˝. I came to this problem while doing the first chapter of book in semiconductor physics, where authors simply define some value (parameter) ˝k˝ thanks to solution of some equation, but they didn't give any meaning for ˝k˝. Only what they said is that ˝k˝ can be real or complex.

First I thought it can be understood through wavelength of electron (particle), but since it can be complex I'm not sure. Perhaps only Re{k} corresponds to wavelength?..

So, if anybody can help, please be my guest :)..

Physics news on Phys.org
k is the wavenumber, or more importantly, related to the momentum (crystal momentum) in the E(k) dispersion diagram.

p=hbar*k

Zz.

Ok, thanks :) .

Just to ask one more thing. I'm not so sure what energy we are talking about when we say E(k)? Is it kinetic energy or potential or maybe whole energy of electron (Ek+U)?
I suppose that it is kinetic part since it is related to the momentum of electron..

It's kinetic energy.

Zz.

E(k)=(hbar*k)^2/(2m)+Vo

In the E(k) diagrams (dispertion curve) E can be considered as the kinetic energy only, but the zero energy value corresponds to the potential energy Vo, so, it's not actually zero.

What is the meaning of k in E(k) diagram?

The variable "k" in the E(k) diagram represents the crystal momentum of an electron in a solid material. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the electron's momentum.

How is k related to the energy of an electron in a solid material?

In quantum mechanics, the energy of an electron in a solid material is described by the E(k) relationship, also known as the band structure. This means that the energy of an electron is dependent on its crystal momentum, or k value.

Why is the E(k) diagram important in materials science and condensed matter physics?

The E(k) diagram is crucial in understanding the electronic properties of materials. It helps scientists visualize the relationship between the energy and momentum of electrons in a material, which is essential in predicting and designing the behavior of electronic devices.

What does the E(k) diagram look like for different materials?

The shape of the E(k) diagram can vary greatly depending on the material. For example, in insulators and semiconductors, the diagram typically shows a bandgap between the valence and conduction bands, while in metals, there is an overlap between these bands. The specific shape of the E(k) diagram can provide valuable insights into the electronic properties of a material.

How is the E(k) diagram experimentally determined?

The E(k) diagram can be experimentally determined through techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These methods allow scientists to measure the energy and momentum of electrons in a material, which can then be plotted on an E(k) diagram.