What is the Method for Calculating Stress Between Two Positive Charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the electric stress between two positive charges that are close to each other. The equation σ=ε(EiEj-(1/2)δij(E^2)) is mentioned and the group discusses how to use it to find the electric field and force between the charges. They also consider the scenario of using two parallel plates or two spherical charges with the same radius.
quantumfoam

Homework Statement

Hi guys! If I have two positive charges really close to each other, what would be the electric stress between the positive charges? Now I don't need a numerical answer, but I would like to know if my attempt is correct.

Homework Equations

σ=ε(EiEj-(1/2)δij(E^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I should add the electric fields between the two positive charges and then use that as E in the equation above to calculate the stress between them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stress? Force per area?
I would expect that you have two parallel plates with some constant charge density (?).
You can calculate the electric field of one plate and calculate the corresponding force on the electric charges in the other plate.

And then I could divide that by the surface area in which the electric field form one plate and charge from the other plate are interacting with each other?

And we could use the plates if you want:smile:

And yes they have constant charge density.

quantumfoam said:
And then I could divide that by the surface area in which the electric field form one plate and charge from the other plate are interacting with each other?
Which is equivalent to the surface of the plates, right.

Yes:smile: What if the two charges were spherical with the same radius? This would still apply right?

Charge distribution on those surfaces would not be uniform (at least for conductors) and you would get all sorts of messy integrals in the evaluation - but the basic concept is the same.

Related to What is the Method for Calculating Stress Between Two Positive Charges?

1. What is stress between two charges?

Stress between two charges refers to the force or tension that exists between two electrically charged particles. It is a measure of the repulsive or attractive forces between the two charges, which can affect the behavior and movement of the particles.

2. How is stress between two charges calculated?

The stress between two charges is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for calculating stress between two charges is:
Stress = (k * Q1 * Q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What factors can affect the stress between two charges?

The stress between two charges can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium or material between the charges. The charges will experience a stronger stress if they have a higher magnitude or are closer together, while a medium with a high dielectric constant can weaken the stress between the charges.

4. How does stress between two charges affect electric fields?

The stress between two charges can affect the electric field between them. If the stress is high, the electric field will be stronger, and the charges will experience a greater force. On the other hand, if the stress is low, the electric field will be weaker, and the charges will experience a weaker force.

5. What are some real-world applications of stress between two charges?

The concept of stress between two charges is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and electronics. It is used to understand the behavior of electrically charged particles and can be applied in the design of circuits, capacitors, and other electronic devices. It is also essential in studying the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and biology.