What is the momentum of a girl jumping into a boat?

In summary: In others contexts it might be used to indicate a time derivative: v' might be the derivative of v with respect to time. So it doesn’t always mean the same thing.However, in this thread, it is used to simply differentiate between two variables that have a similar meaning or purpose.
vxr
Homework Statement
A girl of mass ##m_{1} = 50## kg running with a velocity ##v_{1} = 5## m/s jumped into the boat of mass ##m_{2} = 150## kg. Determine a velocity ##v_{2}## at which a boat sailed away?
Relevant Equations
##p = mv## and ##m_{1}v_{1} = m_{2}v_{2}## (I suppose)
Momentum of a girl:

$$p_{1} = m_{1}v_{1} = 50 * 5 = 250$$

Momentum of an idle boat:

$$p_{2} = m_{2}v_{2} = 150 * 0 = 0$$

So if the girl jumps into the boat, the two "systems" connect with each other. The momentum is passed onto the boat (?):

$$p_{1} = p_{2}$$

$$m_{1}v_{1} = m_{2}v_{2}$$

Substituting all known values:

$$250 = 150 v_{2}$$

$$v_{2} = \frac{5}{3} \quad \Big[ \frac{m}{s} \Big]$$

Does it look any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really, you have to take into account that now the girl is in the boat, so in total, the mass is 50+150 kg.

The momentum at the beginning of the problem is ##p_i=m_1v_1+m_2v_2=50\text{kg}\cdot 5\text{ms}^{-1}=250\text{kgms}^{-1}##. Then at the end both, the girl and the boat will move with the same velocity ##v'_2##, so the momentum will be ##p_f=(m_1+m_2)v'_2##. By conservation of momentum you have:
$$p_i=250\text{kgms}^{-1}=(m_1+m_2)v'_2=200\text{kg}\cdot v'_2\Longrightarrow v'_2=\frac{250}{200}\text{ms}^{-1}=\frac{5}{4}\text{ms}^{-1}=1.25\text{ms}^{-1}$$

Likes scottdave and vxr
Thank you. I have applied that logic to the following simple task:

A cart of mass ##m_{c} = 160## kg was running with a velocity (speed) ##v_{c} = 2## m/s. A boy of mass ##m_{b} = 40## kg catches up with him at velocity ##v_{b} = 5## m/s and drop-in. Determine the final velocity of cart with a boy.

Let:

- ##p_{i}## - initial momentum

- ##p_{f}## - final momentum, I assume equal to initial momentum?

- ##v^{'}_{c}## - velocity of a cart after the boy jumps in

Momentum at the beginning:

##p_{i} = m_{c}v_{c} + m_{b}v_{b} = 160 * 2 + 40 * 5 = 520 \frac{kgm}{s}##

After the boy drops-in:

##p_{i} = p_{f}##

##p_{f} = (m_{c} + m_{b})v^{'}_{c}##

##\frac{p_{f}}{m_{c} + m_{b}} = v^{'}_{c}##

##\frac{520}{160 + 40} = v^{'}_{c}##

##\frac{13}{5} = v^{'}_{c}##

Is this mistake-free?

Yes, I think it's perfect!

Likes vxr
Hi, I see those apostrophes after variables (ex. v') a lot on this website. Is anyone able to explain what it means? Thanks!

NP04 said:
Hi, I see those apostrophes after variables (ex. v') a lot on this website. Is anyone able to explain what it means? Thanks!
We simply use them to distinguish between two variables, so ##v'_2## is simply the velocity of the object 2. Since we have defined the velocity before and after we use de ' to distinguish. That's all.

Thanks I appreciate it.

NP04 said:
It doesn’t always mean the same. In this thread it is being used just to create a name for a related variable. v is the initial velocity of one of the objects and v' is a later velocity of it.
In other contexts it might be used to indicate a derivative: if f(x)=x2 then f'(x)=2x etc.

What is the momentum of a girl jumping into a boat?

The momentum of a girl jumping into a boat is the product of her mass and velocity. It is a measure of the amount of motion she has in a particular direction.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What factors affect the momentum of a girl jumping into a boat?

The momentum of a girl jumping into a boat can be affected by her mass, velocity, and the direction of her motion. The mass and velocity of the boat can also have an impact on the overall momentum of the system.

Is momentum conserved in this scenario?

Yes, momentum is conserved in this scenario. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the girl and the boat are part of a closed system, so their combined momentum will remain constant before and after the jump.

Why is understanding momentum important in this situation?

Understanding momentum is important in this situation because it can help predict the outcome of the girl's jump and the boat's motion. It can also be useful in ensuring the safety of the girl and the boat by taking into account the momentum of the system and any potential external forces acting on it.