What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Yep. "In 2018, Praxair merged with Linde AG to form Linde plc. The Praxair name was discontinued on September 1, 2020."Jodo said:Praxair ( now Linde I believe )
https://www.linde.com/news-media/pr...n-praxair-and-linde-ag-successfully-completed
A little bit of history. https://www.unioncarbide.com/history.html
1917 - Union Carbide & Carbon Corporation is incorporated on November 1, 1917 and acquires the stock of: Linde Air Products Co. (Linde's US subsidiary); National Carbon Co., Inc.; Prest-O-Lite Co., Inc.; and Union Carbide Company (formed in 1898).
1992 - Union Carbide Industrial Gases is spun-off as an independent company. Its name changes to Praxair, Inc.
https://www.linde.com/about-linde/corporate-heritage
As a result of WWI, Linde lost its US subsidiary through expropriation.
A bit of trivia - The AOD process was invented in 1954 by the Lindé Division of The Union Carbide Corporation.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02667991 (requires purchase)
https://www.lindeus.com/industries/metal-production/argon-oxygen-decarburization-aod
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Another piece of technical trivia - At BNSF, the forecast calls for clearer wind data
https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/railtalk/safety/wind-app.html
https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/railtalk/safety/wind-app.html
Much like tractor trailers that get blown over on a highway in a heavy cross wind.In Southern California, the dry, hot winds are called Santa Ana. On the eastern slope of the Continental Divide in Montana, where the temperature is cooler, they’re known as Chinooks. No matter the name or origin, winds that deliver hurricane-like gusts pose significant safety concerns to our crews and trains, which operate through these and other susceptible regions.
At certain speeds and conditions, wind can be strong enough to knock unloaded coal and grain cars off the track. Stacked, empty containers can act like a sail, literally lifting the cars. Damaging winds can also blow down power lines and trees or propel other obstructions into a train or its path.
- 1,098
- 1,385
It’s sad but also hilarious how brands try to hijack special dates and holidays. Gifts should be whimsical, but instead you face a barrage of
This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!
This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Wonder Bird Flies Thousands of Miles, Non-Stop, as Part of an Epic Migration
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...es-thousands-miles-without-resting-180979248/
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
We will all likely hear/see mention of Pi day (3/14) soon. I've tried to popularize $$\sqrt 10 $$; 3/16, to no avail.ergospherical said:It’s sad but also hilarious how brands try to hijack special dates and holidays. Gifts should be whimsical, but instead you face a barrage of
This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!
- 1,098
- 1,385
WWGD said:We will all likely hear/see mention of Pi day (3/14) soon. I've tried to popularize $$\sqrt 10 $$; 3/16, to no avail.
We're also in the midst of British Pie week (the edible variety). I got a nice chicken & leek one from the cafeteria yesterday to celebrate! I do hope they're cooking cottage pie today...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
You got it a week early? Do you like the blood pies?ergospherical said:We're also in the midst of British Pie week (the edible variety). I got a nice chicken & leek one from the cafeteria yesterday to celebrate! I do hope they're cooking cottage pie today...
- 20,819
- 28,467
MMDD is a good idea, as long as you write it YYYYMMDD, but as usual ...DrGreg said:We don't get it at all, as we don't think 14/3 is a good approximation for ##\pi##.
- 1,098
- 1,385
Mate I don't mean to brag but I just sat next to nobel laureate Brian Josephson for dinner and had a whole deep chat about telekinesis and stuff but I was so tipsy that I can't remember any of the points he was making soz 

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I've heard him talk about telekinephews as well as telekinesis;).ergospherical said:Mate I don't mean to brag but I just sat next to nobel laureate Brian Josephson for dinner and had a whole deep chat about telekinesis and stuff but I was so tipsy that I can't remember any of the points he was making soz![]()
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
Try sitting next to me when having dinner...ergospherical said:Mate I don't mean to brag but I just sat next to nobel laureate Brian Josephson for dinner and had a whole deep chat about telekinesis and stuff but I was so tipsy that I can't remember any of the points he was making soz![]()
Hamiltonian
- 296
- 193
The world would literally be a much better place if folks just turned the bloody lights off once in a while.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Hamiltonian said:The world would literally be a much better place if folks just turned the bloody lights off once in a while.
When the public level of awareness goes along the lines of this email:
" Hi, I want to join the Astronomical Society. I'm a Virgo".
Not likely to change soon.
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
Here is the general explanation.Hamiltonian said:The world would literally be a much better place if folks just turned the bloody lights off once in a while.
(Not singling out, but general thought process of light pollution advocates )
bold is mine - add in any excuse you like
https://www.fox13news.com/news/bay-area-bridges-lit-for-ukraine
The Florida Department of Transportation spent $15 million from toll money to install 2,000 LEDs on the side profiles of the bridge and the columns running underneath. The 1.7 miles of the Skyway first lit up in 2019 and the colors change based on holidays and events.
FDOT says the primary purpose of the lighting project is to create aesthetic lighting on the structure, but also to enhance safety and security by providing more light to the underside of the bridge
I am sure the 15$ was well spent to keep hoodlums from congregating under a dark and dingy bridge causing mayhem to anyone who happens to be just passing by. The crime rate certainly must have decreased down under the bridge. Now people can meet under the bridge and feel safe in the comforting aesthetic atmosphere.
BTW, they could have added, but did not, probably due to sensitivity to animals:
Them- the new lighting keeps lions and tigers away.
You - There are no tigers and lions under the bridge.
Them - Exactly. The new lighting...
Another stupidity of it is that it is also promoted as a tourist attraction.
If every bridge in every city is lighted up the exact same way, what is the attraction?
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
Would you
(a) drink a cold butter chicken smoothie?
or (b) eat a frozen butter chicken pie?
or (c) (a) and (b)?
(a) drink a cold butter chicken smoothie?
or (b) eat a frozen butter chicken pie?
or (c) (a) and (b)?
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
No, just interested if anyone would drink/eat those things.WWGD said:Lost a bet?
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
I'd probably vomit.WWGD said:Have you seen anyone drinking it?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I (unknowingly) ate dog food. I kind of laughed it up. No vomit.StevieTNZ said:I'd probably vomit.
Edit: I admit I was kind of curious beforehand, because the way it was presented: " Tender slices of beef with vegetables, in a wine sauce". That sounds tastier than 99+ of what I eat.
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
Ewwwwww. I suppose its not as bad as my mums friends friend who use to put cat food on sandwiches and serve them up.WWGD said:I (unknowingly) ate dog food. I kind of laughed it up. No vomit.
I also have Covid. Go me.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2