What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
In a book from Oxford University Press:
under the:

"© author name 2021"
was
"The moral rights of the author have been asserted"

What does that mean?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jodo said:
Praxair ( now Linde I believe )
Yep. "In 2018, Praxair merged with Linde AG to form Linde plc. The Praxair name was discontinued on September 1, 2020."
https://www.linde.com/news-media/pr...n-praxair-and-linde-ag-successfully-completed

A little bit of history. https://www.unioncarbide.com/history.html
1917 - Union Carbide & Carbon Corporation is incorporated on November 1, 1917 and acquires the stock of: Linde Air Products Co. (Linde's US subsidiary); National Carbon Co., Inc.; Prest-O-Lite Co., Inc.; and Union Carbide Company (formed in 1898).
1992 - Union Carbide Industrial Gases is spun-off as an independent company. Its name changes to Praxair, Inc.

https://www.linde.com/about-linde/corporate-heritage
As a result of WWI, Linde lost its US subsidiary through expropriation.

A bit of trivia - The AOD process was invented in 1954 by the Lindé Division of The Union Carbide Corporation.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02667991 (requires purchase)
https://www.lindeus.com/industries/metal-production/argon-oxygen-decarburization-aod
 
Another piece of technical trivia - At BNSF, the forecast calls for clearer wind data
https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/railtalk/safety/wind-app.html
In Southern California, the dry, hot winds are called Santa Ana. On the eastern slope of the Continental Divide in Montana, where the temperature is cooler, they’re known as Chinooks. No matter the name or origin, winds that deliver hurricane-like gusts pose significant safety concerns to our crews and trains, which operate through these and other susceptible regions.

At certain speeds and conditions, wind can be strong enough to knock unloaded coal and grain cars off the track. Stacked, empty containers can act like a sail, literally lifting the cars. Damaging winds can also blow down power lines and trees or propel other obstructions into a train or its path.
Much like tractor trailers that get blown over on a highway in a heavy cross wind.
 
It’s sad but also hilarious how brands try to hijack special dates and holidays. Gifts should be whimsical, but instead you face a barrage of

This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!
 
Last edited:
ergospherical said:
It’s sad but also hilarious how brands try to hijack special dates and holidays. Gifts should be whimsical, but instead you face a barrage of

This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!
We will all likely hear/see mention of Pi day (3/14) soon. I've tried to popularize $$\sqrt 10 $$; 3/16, to no avail.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
WWGD said:
We will all likely hear/see mention of Pi day (3/14) soon. I've tried to popularize $$\sqrt 10 $$; 3/16, to no avail.

We're also in the midst of British Pie week (the edible variety). I got a nice chicken & leek one from the cafeteria yesterday to celebrate! I do hope they're cooking cottage pie today...
 
ergospherical said:
We're also in the midst of British Pie week (the edible variety). I got a nice chicken & leek one from the cafeteria yesterday to celebrate! I do hope they're cooking cottage pie today...
You got it a week early? Do you like the blood pies?
 
Though note that this year, the approximation 3.1622 is particularly good, better than 3.1422 is to $ \pi$
 
WWGD said:
You got it a week early?
We don't get it at all, as we don't think 14/3 is a good approximation for ##\pi##.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, ergospherical and fresh_42
DrGreg said:
We don't get it at all, as we don't think 14/3 is a good approximation for ##\pi##.
MMDD is a good idea, as long as you write it YYYYMMDD, but as usual ...
 
I agree it makes more sense to go from less specific to more specific; steadily narrowing things down with
DDMMYY instead of MMDDYY
 
Mate I don't mean to brag but I just sat next to nobel laureate Brian Josephson for dinner and had a whole deep chat about telekinesis and stuff but I was so tipsy that I can't remember any of the points he was making soz :oldruck:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
ergospherical said:
Mate I don't mean to brag but I just sat next to nobel laureate Brian Josephson for dinner and had a whole deep chat about telekinesis and stuff but I was so tipsy that I can't remember any of the points he was making soz :oldruck:
I've heard him talk about telekinephews as well as telekinesis;).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and ergospherical
ergospherical said:
Mate I don't mean to brag but I just sat next to nobel laureate Brian Josephson for dinner and had a whole deep chat about telekinesis and stuff but I was so tipsy that I can't remember any of the points he was making soz :oldruck:
Try sitting next to me when having dinner...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
The world would literally be a much better place if folks just turned the bloody lights off once in a while.


 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
Didn't even think it was possible: Stretching for the sole of the feet.
 
Hamiltonian said:
The world would literally be a much better place if folks just turned the bloody lights off once in a while.



When the public level of awareness goes along the lines of this email:
" Hi, I want to join the Astronomical Society. I'm a Virgo".
Not likely to change soon.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian said:
The world would literally be a much better place if folks just turned the bloody lights off once in a while.
Here is the general explanation.
(Not singling out, but general thought process of light pollution advocates )
bold is mine - add in any excuse you like
https://www.fox13news.com/news/bay-area-bridges-lit-for-ukraine

The Florida Department of Transportation spent $15 million from toll money to install 2,000 LEDs on the side profiles of the bridge and the columns running underneath. The 1.7 miles of the Skyway first lit up in 2019 and the colors change based on holidays and events.

FDOT says the primary purpose of the lighting project is to create aesthetic lighting on the structure, but also to enhance safety and security by providing more light to the underside of the bridge
I am sure the 15$ was well spent to keep hoodlums from congregating under a dark and dingy bridge causing mayhem to anyone who happens to be just passing by. The crime rate certainly must have decreased down under the bridge. Now people can meet under the bridge and feel safe in the comforting aesthetic atmosphere.

BTW, they could have added, but did not, probably due to sensitivity to animals:
Them- the new lighting keeps lions and tigers away.
You - There are no tigers and lions under the bridge.
Them - Exactly. The new lighting...

Another stupidity of it is that it is also promoted as a tourist attraction.
If every bridge in every city is lighted up the exact same way, what is the attraction?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Hamiltonian
This attractive woman was reading a Database/Sql book. I ask " May I join your table? May I show you my keys, they're foreign to yours?"
 
Would you
(a) drink a cold butter chicken smoothie?
or (b) eat a frozen butter chicken pie?
or (c) (a) and (b)?
 
StevieTNZ said:
Would you
(a) drink a cold butter chicken smoothie?
or (b) eat a frozen butter chicken pie?
or (c) (a) and (b)?
Lost a bet?
 
I have a bizarre attractor (not quite a strange one) in YouTube: The song " Mamagamma" from Alan
Parson Project. Had never heard it until a year ago, but every 10th song or so, reverts to it.
 
WWGD said:
Lost a bet?
No, just interested if anyone would drink/eat those things.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
StevieTNZ said:
No, just interested if anyone would drink/eat those things.
Have you seen anyone drinking it?
 
WWGD said:
Have you seen anyone drinking it?
I'd probably vomit.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
StevieTNZ said:
I'd probably vomit.
I (unknowingly) ate dog food. I kind of laughed it up. No vomit.
Edit: I admit I was kind of curious beforehand, because the way it was presented: " Tender slices of beef with vegetables, in a wine sauce". That sounds tastier than 99+ of what I eat.
 
WWGD said:
I (unknowingly) ate dog food. I kind of laughed it up. No vomit.
Ewwwwww. I suppose its not as bad as my mums friends friend who use to put cat food on sandwiches and serve them up.

I also have Covid. Go me.
 
StevieTNZ said:
Ewwwwww. I suppose its not as bad as my mums friends friend who use to put cat food on sandwiches and serve them up.

I also have Covid. Go me.
Hope you recover from it soon. And, yes, in restrospect it was pretty disgusting.