Commutation relation of R^2 with L

In summary, the conversation discussed the commutation relations between the position operator (squared) and angular momentum. The result for the commutator was found to be [\hat R^2,\hat L_j]=i\hbar\epsilon_{jkl}x_kx_i+i\hbar x_i\epsilon_{jkl}x_k, with the i included in the epsilon symbol. However, further simplification was not possible. The suggestion was made to first calculate [x^2, p_x] and then use that result to find the commutator for [R^2, L_x].
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

Deduece the commutation relations of position operator (squared) [itex]\hat R^2[/itex] with angular momentum [itex]\hat L[/itex]

Homework Equations

[xi,xj]=0, Lj= εijkxjPk, [xi, Pl]=ih, [xi,Lj]=iℏϵijkxk

The Attempt at a Solution

The previous question related R and L and the result was [tex][\hat R,\hat L_j]=i \hbar \epsilon _{ijk}x_k[/tex] after setting up the commutator as [tex]\epsilon _{jkl}[x_i,x_kP_l][/tex] where I did not include the i in the epsilon.

Now, I did the same with with [itex][\hat R^2,\hat L_j][/itex] and set it up as [tex][\hat R^2,\hat L_j]=[x_ix_i,L_j]=\epsilon_{jkl}[x_i,P_l]x_kx_i+x_i\epsilon_{jkl}[x_i,P_l]x_k[/tex], in which I simplified using the commutator property, and which is then equal to [tex]i\hbar\epsilon_{jkl}x_kx_i+i\hbar x_i\epsilon_{jkl}x_k[/tex]. I don't think I can reduce it any further.
The solution has the i included in the epsilon in the setup and I don't know why that is.

Any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow your use of the epsilon symbol. Why not try calculating:

##[x^2, p_x]##

And from there:

##[R^2, L_x]##

Before you do the calculation, though, what do you think the answer will be?

Last edited:

1. What is the commutation relation of R^2 with L?

The commutation relation of R^2 with L is a mathematical expression that describes how the operators R^2 and L interact with each other. It is given by [R^2, L] = R^2L - LR^2, where [A, B] denotes the commutator of operators A and B.

2. Why is the commutation relation of R^2 with L important?

The commutation relation of R^2 with L is important because it helps us understand the behavior of physical systems and how different properties of a system are related to each other. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations using operators in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the commutation relation of R^2 with L derived?

The commutation relation of R^2 with L is derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. By considering the uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle, we can derive the commutation relation between position and momentum operators, which can then be extended to other operators such as R^2 and L.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the commutation relation of R^2 with L?

The commutation relation of R^2 with L has a physical interpretation in terms of observables in quantum mechanics. It tells us that the order in which we measure certain properties of a system can affect the outcome, and that there are fundamental limits to our ability to measure certain properties simultaneously.

5. Are there any other commutation relations involving R^2 and L?

Yes, there are other commutation relations involving R^2 and L, such as [R^2, L^2] and [R^2, L^3]. These commutation relations can also be derived from the uncertainty principle and have important implications in quantum mechanics.