What is the potential energy of an electron

In summary, the electric potential at point A is 1800V, but the potential energy of an electron at point A is 3.6*10^-6.
Foxhound101

Homework Statement

Part A - (Already solved)
The electric potential at point A is 1800V.

Part B -
What is the potential energy of an electron at point A in the figure?

Point A is .01m away from a charge of +2nC

Homework Equations

V=Uq

U = (Kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the problem is, is that I am confused about the difference between electric potential and potential energy. This problem shouldn't be difficult.

So I tried the second equation

U = (9.00*10^9)(1.6*10^-19)(2*10^-9)/.01
U = 2.88*10^-18

But that isn't the answer...I don't know what equation I should use or what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Foxhound101,

Foxhound101 said:

Homework Statement

Part A - (Already solved)
The electric potential at point A is 1800V.

Part B -
What is the potential energy of an electron at point A in the figure?

Point A is .01m away from a charge of +2nC

Homework Equations

V=Uq

U = (Kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the problem is, is that I am confused about the difference between electric potential and potential energy. This problem shouldn't be difficult.

So I tried the second equation

There's not much detail about the situation here, but one thing I noticed is that you are not putting the sign of the electron in the potential energy equation. For the potential and potential energy the sign is required (unless of course they are just asking for the magnitude for some reason).

This time I tried the other equation...

1800 = U / (2*10^-9)
3.6*10^-6 = U

still wrong.

*edit* I made my post while you made yours...>_> Let me look into your post*

Foxhound101 said:
http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=54425247kj6.gif

Here is the entire problem. I can do the other 2 parts if I know how to do this part.

I think there are two things wrong here. The first is the sign error I mentioned. But also, this calculation from your first post:

Foxhound101 said:
U = 2.88*10^-18

It looks like a calculation error here; it should not be to the -18 power.

Do you get the right answer now?

Alright, thanks for the help. I have the correct answer now. I have the rest of the problem worked out as well.

Man...I wasted so much time on this problem when the only major mistake I made was the negative sign.

Normally MasteringPhysics tells me if the sign is incorrect...

Foxhound101 said:
Alright, thanks for the help. I have the correct answer now. I have the rest of the problem worked out as well.

Man...I wasted so much time on this problem when the only major mistake I made was the negative sign.

Normally MasteringPhysics tells me if the sign is incorrect...

Glad to help! And I know it's discouraging to spend so much time on something that turns out to be a seemingly small matter. However, not including the sign is a very common and persistent mistake for potential/potential energy calculations, and it's better to get a warning about it in your mind now before any exams.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or arrangement in a system. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy related to an electron?

An electron has potential energy because of its position within an electric field. The closer the electron is to a positively charged nucleus, the higher its potential energy.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential energy?

The unit of measurement for potential energy is joules (J). In the case of an electron, its potential energy is usually measured in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

4. Can the potential energy of an electron change?

Yes, the potential energy of an electron can change depending on its position in an electric field. As the electron moves closer or farther away from the nucleus, its potential energy will decrease or increase, respectively.

5. How does the potential energy of an electron affect its behavior?

The potential energy of an electron determines its stability, and therefore, its behavior. If an electron has high potential energy, it is more likely to move away from the nucleus, while an electron with low potential energy will stay closer to the nucleus.