What is the potential drop and current in this circuit?

• Thread starter wwari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, a battery with V = 2.27 V is connected to three resistors in series: R1 = 1.61 Ω, R2 = 4.71 Ω, and R3 = 5.07 Ω. The potential drop across resistor 2 is 1.48 V, and the current in resistor 3 is 0.26 A. There are some unclear parts in the accompanying figure, but it does not affect the problem. The solution for the resultant resistance cannot be found.
wwari
[URL]http://www.fizikodev.itu.edu.tr/res/mcgrawhill/BauerWestfall/1stEdition/Chapter25/P076figure.png[/URL]A battery with V = 2.27 V is connected to three resistors as shown in the figure, where R1 = 1.61 Ω, R2 = 4.71 Ω, and R3 = 5.07 Ω.

a) Find the potential drop across resistor 2.

b) Find the current in resistor 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a figure to accompany this?
Do we see your attempt at the solution? If it is just 3 resistors in series, then how much current is flowing through them?

there is no problem about picture.Some part of picture is not clear.But it hasnt deficient information.It is my homework and I can't find resultant resistant.

wwari said:
there is no problem about picture.Some part of picture is not clear.
I don't see any picture.

a) The potential drop across resistor 2 can be calculated using Ohm's Law, V = IR. Thus, the potential drop across resistor 2 is V2 = (4.71 Ω)(0.48 A) = 2.26 V.

b) The current in resistor 3 can be calculated using Ohm's Law, I = V/R. Thus, the current in resistor 3 is I3 = (2.27 V)/(5.07 Ω) = 0.45 A.

What is the potential?

The potential refers to the amount of stored energy that a system has, which can then be converted into kinetic energy.

How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy that a system possesses, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion or movement.

What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a charged battery, or a book on a high shelf.

What factors affect the potential energy of a system?

The potential energy of a system is affected by the mass, height, and position of the objects within the system, as well as external forces such as gravity.

How is potential energy measured?

Potential energy is typically measured in joules (J) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the metric and imperial systems, respectively.