What is the reaction at point A for a loaded beam?

• Thread starter portofino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Point
In summary: You must show it in your FBD. In summary, the problem involves determining the reaction at point A for a loaded and supported beam. The torque equation is used to find the moment due to the 2kN force, and this is then added to the given moment at 2m to obtain the total moment at A. The free body diagram must show all forces and moments acting on the beam, and they must sum to zero in both the y and x directions. The reaction at A is found to be +2kN, which is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the applied load at 4m. This is determined by satisfying Newton's 1st law in the y direction.
portofino

Homework Statement

a beam is loaded and supported as shown, determine the reaction at point A

see attachment --> the small circle in the beam is not a hole, it is supposed to represent the point at which the moment is about

Homework Equations

torque tau = r*F*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

i do know there is a torque being applied by the 2kN force, such that torque = (4m)(-2kN)sin(90) = -8kN, assuming the positive is upwards

the moment at 2m is given to be 3kN m

i know i did something wrong, because the reaction at A is +2kN (upward), opposite to the applied load at 4m, and the given moment about A, M_A = 11kN m CCW

i can understand the reasoning behind the reaction at A, but how did they calculate the moment about A?

i tried using a free body diagram, but i feel i am missing something and thus not moving in the correct direction with this problem, did i do the FBD correct? see attachment

Attachments

• beamload.JPG
    beamload.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 423
  • beamloadfbd.JPG
    beamloadfbd.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry to double post, but after some thought i have somewhat figured out how to get 11 kN m.

using the torque i calculated earlier --> the 8kN, summed with the given moment = 8kN + 3 kN m = 11, but my units are off?

any help here?

portofino said:
sorry to double post, but after some thought i have somewhat figured out how to get 11 kN m.

using the torque i calculated earlier --> the 8kN, summed with the given moment = 8kN + 3 kN m = 11, but my units are off?

any help here?
You just got a little careless with your units of the moment caused by the 2kN force. Moments always have units of force times length. 2kN*4m = 8____?

ohhh, i should of seen that, thanks for clearing it up. as for the reaction at point A, not the moment, there is no calculations to be done, other than knowing the reaction is the same magnitude but opposite direction of the load, correct?

could you/someone have a look at my free body diagram i attached in the original post, is it correct?

portofino said:

any help here?

portofino said:
ohhh, i should of seen that, thanks for clearing it up. as for the reaction at point A, not the moment, there is no calculations to be done, other than knowing the reaction is the same magnitude but opposite direction of the load, correct?

could you/someone have a look at my free body diagram i attached in the original post, is it correct?
No, that is not correct, and your FBD is therefore not correct. Your FBD forces and moments must satisfy all equilibrium equations, namely, sum of F_y = 0, and sum of Moments about any point =0. What happened to the ccw moment of 11kN-m?

i always thought a free body diagram was supposed to represent the given loads, not the reactions i am supposed to solve for.

is my free body diagram supposed to have both such that the sum is zero in each axis?

i attached the correct free body diagram, now each axis sums to zero.

how is it? could you explain why the reaction at A is +2kN other than making the assumption is an equal but opposite reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
portofino said:
i always thought a free body diagram was supposed to represent the given loads, not the reactions i am supposed to solve for.
In a free body diagram, whether of the entire beam or any portion of it, you must show ALL forces and moments acting on the body. This includes the load at the supports, if the support is part of your FBD.
is my free body diagram supposed to have both such that the sum is zero in each axis?
yes, all forces in the y direction, and in the x direction, and all moments about any point, must sum to zero.
i attached the correct free body diagram, now each axis sums to zero.

how is it? could you explain why the reaction at A is +2kN other than making the assumption is an equal but opposite reaction.
I haven't seen your new FBD yet, but i hope you are not confusing Newton's 3rd law with his 1st. The vertical force at support A, acts up on the beam, in order for Newton 1 to be satisfied in the y direction. There is also a momemt or couple at support A that acts on the beam.

Related to What is the reaction at point A for a loaded beam?

1. What is a beam and how does it support loads around a point?

A beam is a structural element that is designed to resist bending and carry loads. It supports loads around a point by transferring the load to its supports, such as columns or walls, through a series of internal forces.

2. What types of loads can a beam support around a point?

A beam can support various types of loads, including point loads, which act at a single point, and distributed loads, which are spread out over a larger area. It can also support uniform loads, which are evenly distributed along the length of the beam, and non-uniform loads, which vary in magnitude along the beam.

3. How is the maximum load a beam can support determined?

The maximum load a beam can support is determined by its material properties, dimensions, and the type and location of the load. Structural engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate the maximum load that a beam can safely withstand without failing.

4. What factors can cause a beam to fail under a load?

A beam can fail under a load due to various factors, including excessive stress, inadequate material strength, poor design, or damage to the beam. It is essential to consider all these factors when designing and constructing a beam to ensure it can safely support the intended loads.

5. How can beams be reinforced to support heavier loads around a point?

Beams can be reinforced in several ways to support heavier loads around a point. This can include increasing the beam's dimensions, using stronger materials, or adding additional support structures such as columns or braces. Structural engineers can also use techniques such as truss systems or cantilever beams to improve a beam's load-carrying capacity.