What is the required power?

• Thread starter BJN153
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the problem involves a 22.0 kg wheel with a radius of 1.00 m rotating at 230 rpm. It needs to be stopped in 10 seconds. The required work to stop it is 6381.22 Joules and the required power is 638.122 Watts.
BJN153
Hello, please help me with this problem. thanks :mad:

A 22.0 kg wheel, essentially a thin hoop with radius 1.00 m, is rotating at 230 rpm. It must be brought to a stop in 10 s. How much work must be done to stop it? What is the required power?

Physics news on Phys.org
BJN153 said:
Hello, please help me with this problem. thanks :mad:

A 22.0 kg wheel, essentially a thin hoop with radius 1.00 m, is rotating at 230 rpm. It must be brought to a stop in 10 s. How much work must be done to stop it? What is the required power?
From problem statement:
{Wheel Mass} = M = (22.0 kg)
{Wheel Radius} = R = (1.00 m)
(Wheel Rotation Frequency} = f =(230 rpm) = (3.83333 rev/sec)
{Wheel Angular Speed} = ω = 2*π*f = 2*π*(3.83333 rev/sec) = (24.0855 radians/sec)
{Thin Hoop Moment of Inertia} = I = M*R2 = (22.0 kg)*(1.00 m)2 = (22 kg*m2)
{Required Stopping Time} = ΔT = (10 sec)

The wheel's Rotational Kinetic Energy is given by:
{Wheel Rotational Kinetic Energy} = (1/2)*I*ω2 =
= (1/2)*(22 kg*m2)*(24.0855 radians/sec)2 =
= (6381.22 Joules)
::: ⇒ {Work Required To Stop} = (6381.22 Joules)

{Ave Power Required To Stop} = {Work Required To Stop}/ΔT =
= (6381.22 Joules)/(10 sec) =
= (638.122 Watts)

~~

The required power can be calculated by dividing the work done by the time taken. In this case, the work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is equal to 1/2 * mass * (final velocity)^2. Since the wheel must be brought to a stop, the final velocity is 0. Therefore, the work done is 1/2 * 22.0 kg * (0 m/s)^2 = 0 J.

To calculate the required power, we need to divide the work done by the time taken. The time taken is given as 10 s. Therefore, the required power is 0 J / 10 s = 0 watts. This means that no power is required to stop the wheel in 10 seconds.

However, if we want to stop the wheel in a shorter period of time, let's say 5 seconds, then the required power would be 0 J / 5 s = 0 watts. This shows that the required power is dependent on the time taken to stop the wheel. The shorter the time, the higher the required power.

I hope this helps with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is the definition of required power?

The required power refers to the amount of energy or force needed to perform a certain task or function. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

2. How is required power calculated?

The calculation of required power depends on the specific task or function. In general, it can be calculated by multiplying the force needed to perform the task by the distance over which the force is applied. The formula for power is P = F * v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity or speed.

3. What factors affect the required power?

The required power can be affected by several factors, including the type of task or function, the distance over which the force is applied, the efficiency of the system or machine performing the task, and any external forces or resistances.

4. How does the required power relate to energy consumption?

The required power is directly related to energy consumption. The higher the required power, the more energy is needed to perform the task or function. This is why it is important to consider energy efficiency when designing systems or machines that require power.

5. Can required power be reduced?

Yes, required power can be reduced by increasing the efficiency of the system or machine performing the task, using alternative energy sources, or finding ways to minimize external forces or resistances. Additionally, using power-saving techniques, such as turning off unused equipment, can also help reduce the required power.