What is the required torque for a spinning flywheel?

In summary, the amount of torque required for a flywheel starting up depends on its moment of inertia and how fast you want it to spin up. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the weight and dimensions of the flywheel, and the angular acceleration can be found using the desired RPM and time. A table and formula are provided for calculating moment of inertia for different shapes.
Tjtech
Hello, I would like to know the amount of torque required when the flywheel starts? I know that once at speed the flywheel doesn't require torque. I would also like to know what size of slip ring induction motor to run as the below mentioned speed.

The weight of the flywheel is= 6500 kg
( wt. shaft, flywheel boss and wall 2700 kg + mass 3800 kg = total 6500 kg )
RPM= 1550
Diameter=2200mm

Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The amount of torque required depends on its moment of inertia and how fast you want it to spin up.

9be08b9254aaacbc0386b26bf137f2ae.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_acceleration#Equations_of_motion

Last edited by a moderator:
...and angular acceleration alpha is approximately closely enough by delta angular velocity / delta time.

russ_watters said:
The amount of torque required depends on its moment of inertia and how fast you want it to spin up.
Thanks russ_watters, isn't how fast I want the fly wheel to spin the RPM? And if you don't mind how am I supposed to calculate the moment of inertia? Sorry for the trouble as am still an amateur at this thanks

Tjtech said:
Thanks russ_watters, isn't how fast I want the fly wheel to spin the RPM? And if you don't mind how am I supposed to calculate the moment of inertia? Sorry for the trouble as am still an amateur at this thanks
By RPM we usually mean the speed of rotation after the flywheel is up to speed. russ_watters and the other posters are talking about acceleration. How long do you want it to take to go from 0 RPM to max RPM? The shorter the time, the more torque you'll need.

You can find the moment of inertia on this table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia
Note that multiple values are listed for each shape. The subscript tells you which axis you are rotating about.

Tjtech said:
Thanks russ_watters, isn't how fast I want the fly wheel to spin the RPM?

No, it's the angular accelration α that I mentioned in my post. As tygerdawg mentioned, the average angular acceleration is αavg = ( RPMfinal - RPMinitial ) / time.

Tjtech said:
And if you don't mind how am I supposed to calculate the moment of inertia? Sorry for the trouble as am still an amateur at this thanks

This the I in the equation of my previous post.

If it is a solid disc:
170px-Moment_of_inertia_solid_cylinder.svg.png
29bac02573ea5d0bbf08a7506e4e9b37.png

If it is a ring:
185px-Moment_of_inertia_thick_cylinder_h.svg.png
bb27a6644113c6a25f841acabb3a003e.png

For other basic shapes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

Calculation method for more complex shapes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia#Calculating_moment_of_inertia_about_an_axis

Likes jackwhirl

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque related to a spinning flywheel?

A spinning flywheel experiences torque due to the force of the rotating mass. The amount of torque generated by a flywheel is directly proportional to its rotational speed and the moment of inertia of the flywheel.

What is the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the flywheel by the square of its radius of rotation.

How does the torque of a spinning flywheel affect its stability?

The torque of a spinning flywheel is directly related to its stability. A higher torque will make the flywheel more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, making it more stable. This is why flywheels are commonly used in machines that require a steady and smooth rotation.

What are some real-world applications of torque in spinning flywheels?

Spinning flywheels are used in a variety of applications, such as in engines, generators, and energy storage systems. They are also commonly used in vehicles to store and release energy, improving their efficiency and performance.