What is the solution for a Two Block and Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a block of mass 1 kg, a table with a coefficient of friction of 0.77, a string attached to a block of mass 3 kg passing over a pulley, and a uniform disk pulley with a mass of 0.4 kg and radius of 15 cm. The questions are about the acceleration of the mass m3, the tension in the horizontal string, and the tension in the vertical string. The equations used are torque = I(alpha), F = ma, and I = 0.5mr^2. The key is to pay attention to the signs of the acceleration in each equation and to ensure that the vector quantities on each side of
SuperCass

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 = 1 kg rests on a table with which it has a coefficient of friction µ = 0.77. A string attached to the block passes over a pulley to a block of mass m3 = 3 kg. The pulley is a uniform disk of mass m2 = 0.4 kg and radius 15 cm. As the mass m3 falls, the string does not slip on the pulley.

a) With what acceleration does the mass m3 fall?

b) What is the tension in the horizontal string?

c) What is the tension in the vertical string?

Homework Equations

torque = I (alpha)
F = ma
I = .5mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have the equations:
T1 - (mu)N = (m1)a
T2 - (m3)g = (m3)a

And I'm not sure what to do with the torque equation. I think it's
(T1)r - (T2)r = (.5mr^2)(alpha).

Is this right?
What am I doing wrong? Everytime I try something it seems to be incorrect (it's an online program that we input our answers in).

Physics news on Phys.org
Pay attention to the sign of your acceleration in your three equations. Your equations are inconsistent with each other as far as the sign of the acceleration is concerned.

Is it negative in the second one, since it's moving down?
Is my third equation correct? Do I need it?

SuperCass said:
Is my third equation correct? Do I need it?

Pulley is moving in clockwise direction. So T2 > T1

SuperCass said:
It is not the direction of motion that matters but the direction of the acceleration in each equation. You need to make sure that the vector quantity on the right of each equation (acceleration) is in the same direction as the vector quantity on the left.
In the first equation, you know that the acceleration is in the same direction as T1, therefore you must put the same sign in front of each and you have done that. (The symbol "a" stands for the magnitude of the acceleration and is always positive.)
In the second equation, is the acceleration in the same or in the opposite direction as the weight?
Is my third equation correct?
In the third equation, is the angular acceleration in the same or opposite direction as the torque T2R?
Do I need it?
To answer this question, count your unknowns. You need as many equations as you have unknowns.

Thanks everyone, I got it!

I needed to flip my terms in my second equatio nand my third (the torque) equation!

Related to What is the solution for a Two Block and Pulley System?

1. What is the purpose of a pulley in the Two Blocks and a Pulley experiment?

The pulley is used to change the direction of the force applied to the blocks, allowing for a more efficient transfer of energy. It also helps to reduce the amount of force needed to move the blocks.

2. How does the weight of the pulley affect the results of the experiment?

The weight of the pulley can affect the results of the experiment by changing the amount of friction and tension in the system. A heavier pulley may result in more friction, while a lighter pulley may result in less friction.

3. What factors can impact the acceleration of the blocks in the Two Blocks and a Pulley experiment?

The acceleration of the blocks can be affected by the mass of the blocks, the weight of the pulley, the angle of the pulley, and the amount of friction in the system.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the experiment?

The angle of the pulley can impact the direction and magnitude of the force applied to the blocks. A smaller angle may result in a greater force and acceleration, while a larger angle may result in a smaller force and acceleration.

5. How does the Two Blocks and a Pulley experiment demonstrate Newton's laws of motion?

The experiment demonstrates Newton's laws of motion by showing the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. The force applied to the blocks by the pulley system causes them to accelerate, in accordance with Newton's second law. Additionally, the equal and opposite reactions between the blocks and the pulley illustrate Newton's third law.