What is the Solution to a Thermodynamics Problem with a Mercury Vase?

In summary, the problem is about finding the necessary change in temperature to keep the height of the air column the same when the test tube is removed from the mercury vase. This involves considering the hydrostatic pressure of the mercury and the pressure of the air inside the tube, as well as taking into account the atmospheric pressure outside the tube.
DorelXD

Homework Statement

A test tube of length [itex] l=16 cm[/itex] is completely immersed with its uncovered end in a mercury vase. The initial pressure of the air is the atmospherical pressure, and its initial temperature is [itex] t=27 degrees Celsius[/itex] so that the column of air has a height [itex] h= 40 mm[/itex]. We extract the eprubete so that its uncovered remains in contact with the mercury. How much do we have too cool off the temperature so that the height of the column of air stays the same?

To better ilustrate the problem I drew a picture.
untitled_zps782cb277.png

Homework Equations

Well, if the height of the column of air remains the same we have an izocore transformation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the solution of this problem is found writing and solving the equation of the izocore transformation. But I don't know how to find the initial and the final pressure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct spelling is isochoric.

The overall process is not isochoric, but if you consider its start and end, they do have equal volumes, and that may be useful.

To find the pressures, consider what pressure is required to displace the given height of mercury in the first configuration, and what pressure is required to hold the same height of mercury in the second configuration.

The correct spelling is isochoric.

I get it. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

The overall process is not isochoric, but if you consider its start and end, they do have equal volumes, and that may be useful.

I get that too.

To find the pressures, consider what pressure is required to displace the given height of mercury in the first configuration, and what pressure is required to hold the same height of mercury in the second configuration.

I don't know if I can find out that. I don't know how to think the phenomenon. Can you help me?

Let's consider the submerged situation first. Anywhere below the surface, mercury has some particular hydrostatic pressure. Do you know how to compute it?

Now, because the mercury is prevented from occupying the whole tube, something must oppose its pressure - what is it?

Let's consider the submerged situation first. Anywhere below the surface, mercury has some particular hydrostatic pressure. Do you know how to compute it?

Yes, I know. But within the volume of liquid that the tube covers is there a hydrostatic pressure? As far as I know, the hydrostatic pressure is due to the column of liquid found above a certain level. The only hydrostatic pressure I see in that zone is:

[itex] \rho g(l-h)[/itex]

Now, because the mercury is prevented from occupying the whole tube, something must oppose its pressure - what is it?

Well, that would pe the air pressure in the tube, correct?

By the way, thank you very much for your answers!

Last edited:
DorelXD said:
The only hydrostatic pressure I see in that zone is:

[itex] \rho g(l-h)[/itex]

Where exactly do you think you have this pressure?

voko said:
Where exactly do you think you have this pressure?

Well, I've just drawn a black line where I think that pressure is. I know that I have some holes to fill in, concerning my reasoning for solving thermodynamic problems .That's why I have chosen to post on this forum.
untitled_zps15fb3b13.png

Let's see what's happening just at the edge of the tube. Inside the edge, the pressure, according to you, is ## \rho g (l - h) ##. What is it outside the edge (at the same depth)? Are the two equal? How is that possible? What about the pressure of air inside the tube - does it affect anything?

What is it outside the edge (at the same depth)?
Well, outside the edge there is a hydrostatic pressure: [itex]ρg(l−h)[/itex]

Are the two equal? How is that possible? What about the pressure of air inside the tube - does it affect anything?

Well no, there aren't equal. Inside the edge the pressure is:

[itex] ρg(l−h) + p[/itex] where p is the pressure of the air in the tube.

At the same level, outside the edge of the tube the presure is just [itex]ρg(l−h) [/itex].

Correct?

Last edited:
DorelXD said:
Well, outside the edge there is a hydrostatic pressure: [itex]ρg(l−h)[/itex]

Why? The depth of the liquid here is ## l ##, not ## l - h ##. Plus, there is atmosphere over it.

Inside the edge the pressure is:

[itex] ρg(l−h) + p[/itex] where p is the pressure of the air in the tube.

Correct.

voko said:
Why? The depth of the liquid here is ## l ##, not ## l - h ##. Plus, there is atmosphere over it.
That's right, I was uncarfeull. So, the pressure outside the edge is:

[itex] p_0 + ρ gl[/itex], where [itex] p_0[/itex] stands for atmospherical pressure.

But I have a question. Shouldn't we take into account that inside the edge, besides the pressure due to the air in the tube there is atmospherical pressure?

DorelXD said:
But I have a question. Shouldn't we take into account that inside the edge, besides the pressure due to the air in the tube there is atmospherical pressure?

How? It was atmospheric before the tube was submerged. Then some volume was occupied by the mercury. Can the pressure remain the same, assuming the temperature did not change?

voko said:
How? It was atmospheric before the tube was submerged. Then some volume was occupied by the mercury. Can the pressure remain the same, assuming the temperature did not change?

What I meant is shouldn't the pressure inside the edge be something like:

[itex] ρg(l−h)+p+p_0[/itex]. I mean, dosen't the atmospherical pressure above the tube has some sort of effect?

The pressure on top of the tube does not have any effect, and here is why: the tube is held submerged by an additional force. The sum of the force due to the external atmospheric pressure and this additional force must be equal to the force exerted by the internal pressure (which is greater than atmospheric). Alternatively, we could say that the pressure just on top of the tube is exactly equal to the internal pressure inside the tube. Clearly, we cannot take this pressure into account two times, it would make no sense.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
The pressure on top of the tube does not have any effect, and here is why: the tube is held submerged by an additional force. The sum of the force due to the external atmospheric pressure and this additional force must be equal to the force exerted by the internal pressure (which is greater than atmospheric). Alternatively, we could say that the pressure just on top of the tube is exactly equal to the internal pressure inside the tube. Clearly, we cannot take this pressure into account two times, it would make no sense.

I get it now! So, how do we continue the problem?

So what is the pressure in the submerged case?

How could you approach the other case?

voko said:
So what is the pressure in the submerged case?

How could you approach the other case?

I believe I get it now. Regardin the line I drew; the pressure at the edge inside the tube, and the pressure at the edge outside it must be equal, otherwise the liquid wouldn't be in equilibrium, right? And I assume we're dealing with a liquid that is in equilibrium.

For the final state, the things aren't different. At the surface of the liquid the pressure within the tube, and the one outside it must be also equal for the same reason stated before.

Am I right?

All you said is correct.

Thank you for your guidance! I've managed to solve the problem. It was pretty easy, after you made me understand what's the deal with the pressures

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how it affects the behavior of matter.

2. What types of thermodynamics problems are there?

There are three main types of thermodynamics problems: energy transfer problems, energy conversion problems, and energy balance problems. Energy transfer problems involve calculating the amount of heat transferred between systems. Energy conversion problems involve calculating the change in energy between different forms, such as heat to work. Energy balance problems involve calculating the energy input and output of a system to determine its final state.

3. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you first need to identify the system and surroundings, and then determine the initial and final states of the system. Next, apply the laws of thermodynamics, such as the first and second laws, to analyze the energy transfer and conversion processes. Finally, use mathematical equations and principles to calculate the desired quantities.

4. What is the difference between open and closed systems in thermodynamics?

An open system is one in which energy and matter can be exchanged with the surroundings, while a closed system does not allow for the transfer of matter. In thermodynamics, most problems involve closed systems, as they are easier to analyze. However, in real-world situations, open systems are more common, as they allow for a more accurate representation of energy transfer and transformation.

5. How is thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design and operation of engines, refrigerators, air conditioners, and other heat-powered devices. It also plays a crucial role in the study of chemical reactions, weather patterns, and even the human body's metabolism. Additionally, thermodynamics is used in the development of renewable energy sources and the optimization of energy usage for sustainability.