What is the speed of the bicycle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
57 replies · 5K views
PeroK said:
I thought the bicycle started ##17m## behind the car at ##t = 0##?

##26 m/s## would be a better guess.
Be realistic. How can a bicycle go at that speed?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
brochesspro said:
Be realistic. How can a bicycle go at that speed?
Perhaps it's Mark Cavendish?
 
PeroK said:
Perhaps it's Mark Cavendish?
Who is he?
 
brochesspro said:
Who is he?
Never mind, not even he can ride a bicycle at that speed.
 
brochesspro said:
How about https://drive.google.com/file/d/19XcGYjYZOe_M2mPN9nujJ7JuldeHovlk/view?usp=sharing?
Can you open this link?
 
brochesspro said:
Can you open this link?
You need to post some Latex or, at least, an image of your work.
 
brochesspro said:
It has an image, if you can open it.
You need to post your solution in this thread; not a link to an external site.
 
PeroK said:
You need to post your solution in this thread; not a link to an external site.
Ok, but is that a rule?
 
1632117743704.png
1632117782324.png
1632117841039.png
 
I added the 12 seconds by mistake. I should have added 1 second for the phase where the speed is constant.
 
PeroK said:
There are a few mistakes there. ##t_2 = 3s## is correct. The calculation of ##x_{t_2}## has gone wrong somewhere. You added an extra ##12s## for some reason(?).
I too feel I have gone wrong in that part.
 
brochesspro said:
I added the 12 seconds by mistake. I should have added 1 second for the phase where the speed is constant.
The way you did it, ##t_2## is the final time. You don't need to add anything.

brochesspro said:
I too feel I have gone wrong in that part.
I don't see the error immediately - but I used ##T## to keep things simple.
 
I think I neglected the constant ##C## while integrating for the first time for finding ##x_{t_2}##.
 
brochesspro said:
Oh, I see, so I did a mistake in something basic.
You have ##a(t) = -6(t - 1)## (let's do the maths without units). So: $$v(t) = -3t^2 + 6t + k$$ where ##k## is the constant of integration. We know that ##v(1) = 12## (note that we do not have ##v(0) = 12##). So:
$$k = 12 + 3 - 6 = 9$$ and $$v(t) = -3t^2 + 6t + 9$$ That gives ##v(3) = 0##. Integrating again:
$$x(t) = -t^3 +3t^2 +9t + l$$
I think that's where you went wrong, by losing the ##9t## term.
 
brochesspro said:
Should I take ##C = 12 m## as it is the initial velocity of the body?
The constant of integration in the equation for ##x(t)## doesn't matter, as you are calculating the distance traveled between ##t = 1## and ##t =3##.
 
After integration, I got ##x_{t_2}-x_{t_1}=16## after solving and after substituting I got ##x_{t_2}=28m## and thus the speed of bicycle is ##9.3 m/s## as per the question.
 
brochesspro said:
After integration, I got ##x_{t_2}-x_{t_1}=16## after solving and after substituting I got ##x_{t_2}=28m## and thus the speed of bicycle is ##9.3 m/s## as per the question.
The bicycle is another ##17m## ahead to begin with. It must be Mark Cavendish after all!
 
Oh yeah, so I get the average velocity as ##15 m/s##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bob012345 and PeroK
brochesspro said:
Thanks a lot.
So, how do I close this thread?
It doesn't need to get closed. It can stay as it is.
 
Oh, I see. Thanks again.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman